DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: How Can I Get Into Nightlife Photography?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi! I'm new to this forum and I wanted to ask about getting into the nightlife Photography business.

I'm 21 years old and photography has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. I'm very experienced with the equipment I currently have and I think it's adequate for at least starting in the biz. I was looking for some tips and how to actually get about starting to get paid for taking pics of parties and different nightlife events.

I have a Canon T3i, a 430ex II flash, and a variety of different lenses since I've always done different types of photography for fun and hobby.

So any advice, tips, and general guides for getting started in nightlife would be very appreciated Smile

Thank you!
Hello Rammy912,

Welcome to the forums! It is great to have you here on site with us! Great question! I am sure we have some on site here who will give you some ideas on getting into the nightlife! Enjoy the forums!
Hi Rammy912 Smile

It's hard to give some general recipes on how to start a business, but basics are always the same - high self confidence, bit of courage, lot of practice and then - work, work, work.

Before anything else, you need to have great (and thematic) portfolio. So go out, make great photos of people having fun and create stunning portfolio. After that's done, you can start looking for nightclubs and promotion groups.

Knowing people would help, but going from club to club and talking to managers works too. Go to the chosen club early when everything's still slow, talk to manager about the benefits of having photos online, show them your portfolio and ask for a test trial where you'll work for free for a week or so.
Worst thing you can do is to present yourself to club managers via phone or email.

You should know that not every nightclub and person will be happy with you taking photos. Polite smile and small talk usually help with that. If not, just be discrete enough to stay out of trouble Smile Also, as a new photographer, you should be ready to work for free at least for a week, and... don't take rejections too personal - it's all part of the practice and gaining experience.
I agree that making money with your photography requires probably as much selling and marketing as technical skills. You should find compelling reasons why people should hire you to work for them.

If you haven't done it already, you should also try to learn to shoot without flash at low light scenes as you won't be so obtrusive that way.
Also, it is nice to have a portfolio available to show your potential customers. This will give them clues to your work. It can include different types of photography and should always include your best shots.
Look on Craigslist to see if anyone in your area is looking for photos like that. They probably won't be offerint to pay much of anything, but at least you could get your foot in the door and build your portfolio. Good luck!