DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Glamour-ish portraits
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Maybe I'll receive more critic with a different subject Big Grin
[attachment=713][attachment=712]
The first one has a misty/lack of opacity look, but I find myself looking at the two window handles and the crack or cobweb, rather than the model.
I much prefer the second for style and would like the rest of her head. Big Grin
Thanks, NT!
I agree with NT, the second one is better, but I would like to see more of her face -if you notice there are two hair locks that are falling on each side of her nose and they define it a bit strange; it's important to pay attention to little details like these even if you don't set up everything in an image. It definitely a shot that you should redo, it's a great start, but try posting multiple angles/images for one concept and this way people are more likely to help you decide which one to pick.
(Oct 29, 2012, 12:53)alessya Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with NT, the second one is better, but I would like to see more of her face -if you notice there are two hair locks that are falling on each side of her nose and they define it a bit strange; it's important to pay attention to little details like this even if you don't set up everything in an image. It definitely a shot that you should redo, it's a great start, but try posting multiple angles/images for one concept and this way people are more likely to help you decide which one to pick.

Thank you for the comment.
About concepts, I always believed that I am terrible at defining them, no matter the photography category. I wouldn't know how to define a concept for a portrait. I would apreciate some examples, if you have any.
Examples of good portraits in general? Well, I manage to have a load of those I found online. Here are a few of my favs -I would give credit to the photographers, but I honestly don't remember where I collected them from:

[attachment=714]

[attachment=716]

[attachment=715]
I really like the second one, thanks for the examples. Too bad you didn't keep the artist's name along with their work.
I'm glad you like them. I find them mostly on tumblr or from editorials, that's why I don't have the names of the photographers. On tumblr, for example, you rarely find credits Smile
I really like the first. Love the lighting and the soft feel. The second one is great too. You have two very diff feels about them. I like your pics a lot better then the examples posted by another user. I didn't like the shadows or the composition of those. I think you're doing a great job!
Thanks so much, BrandyMaeD!

Here's another one, taken with the Jupiter-9 soviet era 85mm f2 lens and a digital Pentax.
Unfortunately that day I forgot my m42-K mount adapter so I used the lens handheld. Nevertheless, stray light entering the camera body through the mount adds an interesting effect.
Love the light effect so much, great shot and atmosphere! Analog lens on digital have quite an unique feel, wouldn't you agree? Smile
Yes I do agree. I absolutely love it as a portrait lens. I would not let it go for a modern 85mm 1.8.
Lovely shoulder!
Neither would I. I'm using an old Zenit 58mm 2.0 and it's lovely for portraits. It sure does give another 'feel' to my images than my pancake lens Smile
And the old Helios (Zenit) 58mm f/2.0 can also be found for about 25$. That makes it a steal.
Itself, the lens is a copy of the Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 58mm f/2.0, stollen by the russians after the war Smile
Update: original post updated to provide "family friendly/family safe" focus within the photography forums. Please private message me if you have any questions.

I really like the second shot overall and love that you let the background blur out. With that said, maybe a tighter crop or if you'd have put her in front of a darker background might have been nice. The light colored door competes with her in the shot.
Thanks for the critique Smile