DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Shooting in a darkened auditorium
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have read so much about this that I am almost ashamed to ask for help, but here goes...
I take pictures of my granddaughter during her dance recitals and pageant pictures using Nikon D90 w/Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8. I have used the suggestions of setting ISO to 800 (and higher), adjusting shutter speed as low as I can (1/100) and I use a mono-pod and no flash. I still am not satisfied with the grainy (sp) results.
I am wondering if I go from 12Mp (D90) to 24Mp (D7000) would make the difference in the grain/sharpness?
Yes, it may end up worse.

Megapixels will have very little effect, what is important is the processor and it's ISO range. IF it has a higher ISO range AND processor, then that will improve the quality.

1/100 simply isn't fast enough to get sharp images of a moving object.
It does have higher ISO range and I have tried that, along with faster shutter speed. However, I still can't get a "sharp/clear" image.
I see images from the same show on FaceBook that are super-sharp. I suppose I should ask the photographer but he is "the competition" - LOL.

Oh, and when I used 1/100th, I tried to do so when she was not in motion as to avoid blur.
Thanks for responding. I suppose it just takes a lot of practice and patience.
I'll keep shooting!
Welcome to Shuttertalk!

In my experience the debate about megapixels can be divided into two camps: those who think that higher pixel counts don't matter, and those who own a Nikon D800.

(Nov 16, 2012, 09:17)MarkC. Wrote: [ -> ]I am wondering if I go from 12Mp (D90) to 24Mp (D7000) would make the difference in the grain/sharpness?

Well… the D7000 is 'only' 16Mpx, not 24Mpx, which isn't a significant change from 12. It would give you an image that's only 640 pixels longer than what you have now. Moving to a D3200 would be a big step down in terms of the camera itself; upgrading to the much more expensive D600 would give better images, but you then lose one-third of your telephoto reach, which could cancel out most of the sensor gains that you've spent so much money to buy.

The generational difference in the D7000 will still provide an improvement – it's a very good camera. It's hard to say if it would be a significant improvement, though… any chance you can sneak a look at the camera that your 'competition' is using? Big Grin

The only practical thing that I can think to suggest is to watch your exposure very carefully. If the stage is mostly dark then you might have to be fairly aggressive with the negative exposure compensation to keep the camera from wanting to over-expose and find details in the shadows that don't really matter.

(Nov 16, 2012, 10:31)MarkC. Wrote: [ -> ]It does have higher ISO range and I have tried that, along with faster shutter speed. However, I still can't get a "sharp/clear" image.
I see images from the same show on FaceBook that are super-sharp. I suppose I should ask the photographer but he is "the competition" - LOL.

You may want to peek into the EXIF data of his photos. If it's not cleared, that will sure give you some answers how and why he can and you can't Wink
MarkC.

Welcome to the forums! Nice to see that you jumped right in on asking for help! Glad you are here!
Don't forget, if the photo is displayed smaller (such as on Facebook), the unfocussed quality is diminished and it will look sharper. Don't despair, grain is ok.
Thank you all! And I stand corrected on the Mp count of the D7000...so many numbers - LOL
I think the "competitor" is using a D700 which doesn't give him any advantage in megapixels. I spoke with him very breifly trying to be nice, but unfortunately he didn't want to be friendly. He said he had a 200mm f2.8.
Also, He "protects" his photos to the point that I don't know if I can get the EXIF data, but I will try. I hadn't thought of that before.
I am glad I joined...bunch of nice, sharing, and giving people on here!!!
In low light, the lens can hunt for focus or miss the focus point. You could try manual focus and see what result you get with that.
If your competitor is using a good quality prime lens (fixed focal length) then it usually is better than a zoom.
and then it's practise practise practise. Big Grin
Thanks. I am gonna add the D7000 to my arsenal soon. There are enough reasons to do that. I just don't really feel that I need an FX unit with all the features of the D7000.
Hi Mark, Your competition may also be using some post processing / post production software to enhance the images in several ways. Photoshop can do a lot of repairs to noise, brightness, contrast, unsharp masking and the like. Also, a software package that I am saving up for is from onOne Perfect Photo Suite version 7, watch them for a great special about two times a year and when they introduce a new version. I like what I am seeing from this company and have played around in demo versions that you can download. You may want to ask the stage manager if they can step up the lighting - you might be surprised - I asked for that for a college play, and I thought they would have an artistic reason not to - but sure enough they did bump up the lighting for me - anything for free publishing. Hope this helps - and do experiment - it is the best way to learn - and that is the great thing about Photography - I have had a great career and even at age 59 - I am still learning new things about Photography - love learning.
Welcome to the forums DanDickens2! Glad to have you here!
(Nov 17, 2012, 13:39)MarkC. Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you all! And I stand corrected on the Mp count of the D7000...so many numbers - LOL
I think the "competitor" is using a D700 which doesn't give him any advantage in megapixels. I spoke with him very breifly trying to be nice, but unfortunately he didn't want to be friendly. He said he had a 200mm f2.8.
Also, He "protects" his photos to the point that I don't know if I can get the EXIF data, but I will try. I hadn't thought of that before.
I am glad I joined...bunch of nice, sharing, and giving people on here!!!

Hi, I think the reason for the competitor to get sharper results is the camera. D700 is a full frame camera with a bigger sensor and with significant lower noise at high ISO, add to that the faster lens f2.8
(Nov 16, 2012, 09:17)MarkC. Wrote: [ -> ]I have read so much about this that I am almost ashamed to ask for help, but here goes...
I take pictures of my granddaughter during her dance recitals and pageant pictures using Nikon D90 w/Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8. I have used the suggestions of setting ISO to 800 (and higher), adjusting shutter speed as low as I can (1/100) and I use a mono-pod and no flash. I still am not satisfied with the grainy (sp) results.
I am wondering if I go from 12Mp (D90) to 24Mp (D7000) would make the difference in the grain/sharpness?

Hi Mark Smile

You mentioned you were using a monopod. If your 70-200 f/2.8 has VR turn it OFF. When used on a monopod or tripod the VR in that lense can actually decrease it's performance. As stated in other responses, more Mp do not decrease noise. However, The processor in the D-7000 is much better than that of a D-90. I own a D-7000 and use it for sports photography in dimly lit gyms and on dreary High School atheletic fields. Even with a 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 and ISO as high as 6400 it's performance is satisfactory for newspaper print.
With the D-7100 now available you can have your cake and eat it too! With this camera you can have your larger Mp count and the advantage of the better processor. You already have the glass now get the upgraded camera body and you will be amazed at the difference.