DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Delicacy in mundane
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How do you feel about this sort of contemporary images?
I, for one, like them more and more. They have a certain subtlety and delicacy. I believe one must have a good eye to capture beauty in the mundane.
http://badorgood.com/foto/-cum-ai-facut-...his-778630
I liked some of them due to the texture and the lines that were portrayed. For example, the chain link fence drew my attention into the photo as well as the plant pots with netting on them. A few of them, I felt were lacking (just personal opinion) but everyone will view them differently.
I agree completely.
Photography is subjective by nature, but I think that with these photos you either love them or hate them. I think that, done right like in your examples, they're really awesome.
I totally agree, Knox.
Photography, though only present for the last hundreds of years, has grown almost as diverse as music. Some like some genders, some other. But as a whole, it is good that the boundaries are being pushed and photography as a whole is growing in diversity.
Personally, I love this genre of photography, love that grew and grew ever since I first laid eyes on the work of Wolfgang Tillmans and Felix Gonzales Torres. Your examples are quite something, Vlad! But it is true that this is a type of photography a bit hard to digest for many people and that's probably because some of us are just so sick and tired of the mundane that they don't actually bother to look past the surface anymore...
[attachment=921]Vlad,
I am also a big fan of this kind of photography. I think it's how we regain the wonder that we are sometimes far too busy to see in our everyday lives. It really speaks to my practice of Miksang - Meditative Photography - using photography to increase mindful living, explore different mood states or create new mood states through searching out subjects that illuminate the desired states. Here is one of my "mundane" shots.

Lori
Oh my - that pic came out way too big!Dodgy
Thanks for replying with a great example. I really like the way the shadow superimposes on the leaves, I think I would have composed as to only include that. Having two competing subject in a frame (in this case the shadow and the cord) Makes both of them less strong as it would have been otherwise.
I hope you don't mind I included a bit of critique. Wish you the best!!
Lovely image, I presume it's from the black sea series, right?
Vlad,
I actually do have a second shot with only the tree & shadow and really like them both. I don't mind you giving some feedback, it's fun to see the different viewpoints.
Lori
Yes, Alessya, it's from the black sea seriesSmile
Thanks.
I'm really eager for the summer to come so I can continue my series.
Me too, but that's probably because, besides Christmas, I'm not a big fan of winter Smile I believe you could try some landscapes in winter too, it would be interesting to see how it all looks deserted...
I'm a huge fan of this type of vison! I like photography where interpritation is left to the viewer and the message is told in sublte ways.

With that said, it's hard to produce images in this style that really captivate because you're riding the knife edge between interesting and banal...
Photokev, I think you nailed it with the last line. It really is a thin line.
That being said, here's one of my favorite Romanian artists website, Nicu Ilfoveanu.
http://ilfo.ro/index.php?/works/steampunk-autochrome/

Vlad, that website is amazing Big Grin Thank you so much for sharing, I didn't knew about it!
I'm surprised that you didn't!
But I'm really glad that you find it amazing. Ilfoveanu is a great source of inspiration to me.
(Nov 23, 2012, 09:36)vlad Wrote: [ -> ]How do you feel about this sort of contemporary images?
I, for one, like them more and more. They have a certain subtlety and delicacy. I believe one must have a good eye to capture beauty in the mundane.
http://badorgood.com/foto/-cum-ai-facut-...his-778630

I very much enjoyed your images, Vlad. Just curious how much post processing you ordinarily perform.
Not much, usually, but no matter how much I post process, I always try to make it unobtrusive, and keep an overall feeling of authenticity.
I found this blog the other day and I wanted to share with you: http://magneticelements.tumblr.com/
Alessya - this blog had some very interesting photographs. Thanks for sharing!
I'm more than happy you like it! Smile
[attachment=1036][attachment=1035][attachment=1034][attachment=1033]
(Jan 11, 2013, 09:00)alessya Wrote: [ -> ]I'm more than happy you like it! Smile

this is my style of photography. shooting subjects that get overlooked and turning the mundane into something extraordinary.Bryan petersen in his
'learning to see creatively" opened my eyes to a world of subjects by simply lookind down.CoolExclamationSmileIdea
Took this in downtown Seattle last month.
@sinatraman - The 4th photograph you shared is really eye-catching, great colors!
Pages: 1 2