DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Charity & Digital Photography
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Have you offered your photography services for a charitable cause? Charity and photography are not usually heard of too much in our area.

Do you offer or have you thought about offering your services to a charitable organization? If you have thought about it, have you talked to the organization about it?

Please share your thoughts and ideas...Thanks! Big Grin
I don't know if this counts as charity...but I'm doing free sessions in local animal shelters. They always need photographers who will make photos for posters, flyers, ads, web galleries etc. I'm counting something like ten years of helping them this way, and have to say - I never regretted a single moment spent there.
This is awesome and counts in my book. This is a great way to help the community and to help find homes for pets in waiting! Our girl scouts have helped for some time in our area with animal shelters in different ways. I think helping in the community is a great way, especially when you can use your photography skills or knowledge!
A good topic to bring up. I agree that normally photographers would want to charge some $$ amount for their services. But sometimes the happiness one can get from just going around taking photographs for free is amazing.
I did a similar job for one of the non-profit organization here in the silicon valley some time back. I participated to run a half marathon (which I completed successfully) and alongside I offered to photograph the runners during their runs. The smile on their faces paid up for my services Smile

Cheers
Samy
Samy,

This is great to hear! And, yes I agree that sometimes we forget about being charitable or do not "see" hidden opportunities. Congrats on the completing the marathon! I bet it was a wonderful experience for you!
You could also join this worldwide project. http://help-portrait.com/
It's about giving free printed photos to needy families.
Great idea vlad! Thanks for sharing!

Another idea would be to offer family photos to soldier's families...Just a thought!
(Apr 8, 2013, 06:58)vlad Wrote: [ -> ]You could also join this worldwide project. http://help-portrait.com/
It's about giving free printed photos to needy families.

This is a really nice project. (and a great way to remind people how little is needed to make someone smile)

If I ever find out how to shoot people I will definitely try Smile

Hey Barbara,
I too volunteer at my local shelter. I go there once a week to to get shots of all the adoptable dogs of which there may be anywhere from 6 to 12 new dogs each week. We also go on 2 hour field trips they call "Dog's Day Out" where we go to various locations around the county to promote adoptions. All of these adventures are posted on my website at www.jimspics.net where I provide about 5 pages deticated to Pasco County Animal Services. We have also added a "Glamor Shot of the Week". Here we chose one dog a week to have a portrait done, backdrop, dress-up and all in an effort to show that these animals are just as loveable as the ones who have forever homes.
Here is last weeks Galmor Shot.

Jimbo,

Glad to hear and thanks for sharing your photo - it is absolutely adorable (the dog, too)! I love laboradors! This looks just like the one I had growing up as a child!