DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Recommendations for any particular lens for shooting landscapes?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello

I have a Nikon D5100, a nikkor 50mm prime lens, a nikkor 18-55mm and 55-200mm lens.

I was curious, if there are any good prime lenses, or maybe a zoom lens to capture landscapes other than the ones listed above?
Maybe something that goes below 18mm?

(PS: I am not looking for those expensive couple of thousand dollar lenses, but maybe a third party lens like - Tokina, Sigma or Tamron ones.)

Cheers
Samy
(Mar 29, 2013, 10:53)samyshah Wrote: [ -> ]Hello

I have a Nikon D5100, a nikkor 50mm prime lens, a nikkor 18-55mm and 55-200mm lens.

I was curious, if there are any good prime lenses, or maybe a zoom lens to capture landscapes other than the ones listed above?
Maybe something that goes below 18mm?

(PS: I am not looking for those expensive couple of thousand dollar lenses, but maybe a third party lens like - Tokina, Sigma or Tamron ones.)

Cheers
Samy

Hi!
You could try an ultra wide angle zoom lens:
Tokina 12-24 f4 or Tokina 11-16 f2.8 are both wonderfull performers. Tokina lenses have a great reputation.
Sigma 8-16mm or 10-24 mm
Tamron also has a 10-24 mm
These are all good.
Or, if the huge barrel distortion doesn't bother you, you could try the most extreme wide angle option, the Samyang 8mm Fisheye Lens. Just google it. I own it and for the price it can't be beat.

I agree with "vlad" I would recommend and some landscape photographers Tokina 11-16 f2.8 is the most affordable with GREAT BENEFIT shooting landscape. In terms of quality it's superb sharpness equals the expensive brand of some system. Then get some filters to support your landscape photography Smile

_________________________________________________________________________________
"Basic photography is my foundation but by continuous studying and learning from colleagues make me what I am today"
Click this link to see some of my works
Yeah, the Cokin square filter system works wonders on landscape photography!