DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: selective focus photography and bokeh
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm experimenting using selective focus using a wide apertures. I've found it very interesting. Am thinking of getting a wide prime lens with big aperture to do more people shots. I found it takes a bit of practice to get the focus right. I'm using a zoom fully wide open at 2.8 for now but think a bigger aperture prime might be better.

I have taken some pics of a musical group that just happened to be walking along the esplanade at penzance the other day. It was late in the day but still seemed to work Not all that easy to focus especially when walking backwards.
pics seemed ok after i took out a bit of camera noise.
I'm definitely going to persevere with the 'selective focus' idea as i now think it has merit.
I've put some pics in the gallery here, though i do wonder if anyone looks there. Used 'selective' 'focus' as keywords to look them up.
Anyone specializing in 'selective focus' pics? And what lenses are you using?
I'm mainly interested in isolating people for this, although it could be useful for other stuff.
Anyone with any insight /ideas on selective focus and on what occasions are you doing it ? .... be interested to hear from you ... jim t

I like this idea and your shots. The Canon 1.8 prime might be even better and anyway it's a brilliant lens - everyone should have one.

Best,

Alan.

(May 15, 2013, 18:01)jim truscott Wrote: [ -> ]I'm experimenting using selective focus using a wide apertures. I've found it very interesting. Am thinking of getting a wide prime lens with big aperture to do more people shots. I found it takes a bit of practice to get the focus right. I'm using a zoom fully wide open at 2.8 for now but think a bigger aperture prime might be better.

I have taken some pics of a musical group that just happened to be walking along the esplanade at penzance the other day. It was late in the day but still seemed to work Not all that easy to focus especially when walking backwards.
pics seemed ok after i took out a bit of camera noise.
I'm definitely going to persevere with the 'selective focus' idea as i now think it has merit.
I've put some pics in the gallery here, though i do wonder if anyone looks there. Used 'selective' 'focus' as keywords to look them up.
Anyone specializing in 'selective focus' pics? And what lenses are you using?
I'm mainly interested in isolating people for this, although it could be useful for other stuff.
Anyone with any insight /ideas on selective focus and on what occasions are you doing it ? .... be interested to hear from you ... jim t

Alan, ~thanks am considering getting a 35mm but not sure if 1.8 or 1.4 I know the 1.4 is pricey and its only a small part of my work so have been hanging off.. Trouble is... would have had trouble getting those gallery pics with a fixed prime. Zoom made it happen.
jim t

That's an interesting point about needing a long lens - you could fake it in Photoshop [probably obvious and unconvincing] or just get brave and move in close. Wonder if anyone has a better idea.

Alan.

(May 16, 2013, 06:14)jim truscott Wrote: [ -> ]Alan, ~thanks am considering getting a 35mm but not sure if 1.8 or 1.4 I know the 1.4 is pricey and its only a small part of my work so have been hanging off.. Trouble is... would have had trouble getting those gallery pics with a fixed prime. Zoom made it happen.
jim t

I totally agree in having a fixed prime lens for sure - be it a 35mm, 50mm or a 85mm depending upon your use. Also f/1.8 and f/1.4 won't matter so much if you are not specifically bent upon shooting most of your photographs in low light conditions. If you do, then definitely f/1.4 gives you more flexibility.

Either ways, the bokehs that one can get through these fixed prime lenses are simply stunning! I love doing those!

Cheers
Samy
Glad that you are trying out selective focus/ bokeh effects, but please don't think that it is an invention of the digital age photography. Way back in time, photographers were doing this on their plate cameras. A big advantage in getting the 'Bokeh' effect, was when lenses often had 'Waterhouse Stops', an obvious advantage. Bokeh might be the 'Buzz-Word', but the effect is very old.