DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: How to re-size the image?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello

I have an image which is 600 x 834.
I have to resize it to get it to 253 x 69.

How can I achieve that?

Cheers
Samy
Are you wanting to know how to re-size it in a specific program?
Maybe yes, like for example, if I use a simple Microsoft Office 2010, there is an option to re-size the image and wherein you can enter your own custom size.

Now it also indicates, that the original size of the image is 600 x 834.
I want the image to be 253 x 69

When I try simply entering 253 and 69, it obviously comes up with a different sized image.

Maybe I am overlooking a very simple technique but somehow cannot find my way through Smile
If you have photoshop there are a lot ways to do it

Click on the Image tab ---> Image size ----> set your desired parameters and make sure its in Bicubic sharper (best for reduction)
Be careful with the resizing if your image is not in constrain proportion

If your canvass size is not in proportion to your desired resizing image try to use cropping tool. Set your parameters once clicked on the crop tools. This will remove some part of the image.
Thanks for the tips. I do have Photoshop now but I still have not yet used it. I have to start learning from some available tutorials online and get my hands on with Photoshop.
Also if in the long run you will be printing some images try to get some tutorials on color management. This will ease your workflow from onscreen viewing to printing. Making sure that what you see in the screen is true colors and not different on what others see it.
A quick question----Why that particular size since you'll end up with either a vertical or horizontal panorama-type shot since the original photo's ratio has been drastically changed? (Just musing.)
As nikbill says, you are going to end up with a very different image. Why, exactly do you want to resize it. It isn’t a particularly big image? If you printed it at 300dpi you wouldn’t get more than a 3 x 2 inch print.
I think that really basic photo software do this, not just Photoshop. But most of them tend to keep the aspect ratio of the photo.
I would not trust a Microsoft product with my images - no more than I trust Microsoft to ever tell anyone the truth. If one is to be a photograher - I would recommend Adobe Photoshop and get it in a hurry - the next upgrayed could be worse than the last. Most of the upgrades have been more like rearangements rather than something we can actually use to improve upon ourselves. Within Photoshop there are several ways to alter the image size, beyond cropping, the Image Size command is the best, you can also scale the image under the Edit - Transform, Scale. I'm no math whiz - so I do a lot of resizing on the fly - going with the visual rather than the math - I let Photoshop drive the math behind it. In the print world resolution is key to our market - maintain a 300 dpi resolution is important and I love to hold images to the 350 dpi that my Sony Alpha makes the native default for my images - and my scanner can blaze up to 1200 dpi - the end results are hardly noticable to most clients and general public viewing - but I can tell the difference so I go with the difference. If you can get ride of Microsoft products move over to Apple and or Adobe products - much safer and far more reliable. Bill Gates makes me want to throw up... Oh and that Facebook creap - that's another one that needs to be resized. Sorry - got off on a tangent.
(Jul 25, 2013, 06:22)DanDickens2 Wrote: [ -> ]I would not trust a Microsoft product with my images - no more than I trust Microsoft to ever tell anyone the truth. If one is to be a photograher - I would recommend Adobe Photoshop and get it in a hurry - the next upgrayed could be worse than the last. Most of the upgrades have been more like rearangements rather than something we can actually use to improve upon ourselves. Within Photoshop there are several ways to alter the image size, beyond cropping, the Image Size command is the best, you can also scale the image under the Edit - Transform, Scale. I'm no math whiz - so I do a lot of resizing on the fly - going with the visual rather than the math - I let Photoshop drive the math behind it. In the print world resolution is key to our market - maintain a 300 dpi resolution is important and I love to hold images to the 350 dpi that my Sony Alpha makes the native default for my images - and my scanner can blaze up to 1200 dpi - the end results are hardly noticable to most clients and general public viewing - but I can tell the difference so I go with the difference. If you can get ride of Microsoft products move over to Apple and or Adobe products - much safer and far more reliable. Bill Gates makes me want to throw up... Oh and that Facebook creap - that's another one that needs to be resized. Sorry - got off on a tangent.

Well... If Microsoft is bent on spying on you, they don't need photo software to do so... And for a lightweight software I don't think there's anything that tops the free programs in Windows.
Spys Like Us - we got it made. No Microsoft is not spying on me - they are too busy putting out deficating software - no time left for spying. They don't even have time to spy on themselves, other wise if they did spy on themselves they would discover that most of their stuff does not work correctly. My son is majoring in IT Medical Infomatics - even his college professors tell their students that Microsoft products are not reliable - and Microsoft does maintain the world of IT professionals with way more jobs than Job's Apple products that simply work and work simply. Back on my head - here at work its all Microsoft at home I have Apple - I can tell the difference and everyday the IT guys are busy - at home I have never needed an IT guy at all. But the world with its pubic education has managed to dumb down people to the point they can not tell the difference - glad I home schooled mine for at least two years - it was the only way my son was ever going to learn mathmatics - and I was the weakest link in the math chain within my family. Public Schools were resizing minds like Microsoft resizes images - I've used Microsoft Publisher, trouble shooting Publisher for clients - So my manager got involved in the process - heck I just rebuilt the file on a Mac using Quark Xpress in time to meet the clients deadline - and the manager never was able to fix the original file. Oh well that's Crapitalism for you - the worker bees figure it all out while they make the managers wealth for them - and all we can do is redistribute the freedumb. Now that is the best attitude of gratitude I can come up with. Got to get back to my vision wall - later...
I'm... not really sure how to respond to all that, but I certainly think Apple and Microsoft are not that different from one another. It's just a matter of taste, that's all, if one was clearly the better product the other would be out of business. Smile
The three main principles of Capitalism:
1. Slavery or Slave Wages
2. Lots and lots and lots of lies
3. Tons and tons and tons and even more tons of debt.

Microsoft has managed to out do the truth over Apple - that is the reason Microsoft has lead the way for so long - however, as you know Apple has finally moved ahead - mainly because people have slowly began to realize that the Truthiness of Microsoft was not so much the truth after all.

Since 1989 - I have made my living with both systems - that experience backs up all my claims to which is better - and even my son's college IT professors confess the same thing. On Judgement Day all this will be made clear - I can wait.
Okay - lets tone it down a little here. We all have our opinions and we can nicely speak of them without discord or discontent in the forums.
Well Um-K, not sure what was said that caused moderation?

Please remember - nothing can be said that has ever offended me. Actions - that's a different story.

The thing that gets to me is when people get ripped off by these big software organizations. Yet the better product may cost business or consumers more - the cost savings over all comes in the long run of working with various softwares to which consumers gain enjoyment or businesses gain profit.

As a forum - I would think our experiences should benefit the bloggers as pros or consumers - with priceless information.

I only want to help...

The truth will either set us free or get us nailed to the post.
(Jul 25, 2013, 10:53)DanDickens2 Wrote: [ -> ]Well Um-K, not sure what was said that caused moderation?

Please remember - nothing can be said that has ever offended me. Actions - that's a different story.

The thing that gets to me is when people get ripped off by these big software organizations. Yet the better product may cost business or consumers more - the cost savings over all comes in the long run of working with various softwares to which consumers gain enjoyment or businesses gain profit.

As a forum - I would think our experiences should benefit the bloggers as pros or consumers - with priceless information.

I only want to help...

The truth will either set us free or get us nailed to the post.
This is a photography forum. Send us a photo of you on your soap box, by all means, but otherwise keep your opinions about Microsoft, capitalism or anything else not about photography to yourself, there’s a good lad.

Opinions - I have always kept my opinions to myself. Never will share those with anyone. Secrets - well - I'll share them out of my Love for my Enemies - but opinions - never, you'll never get my opinions - ever never.

However, Facts - well - facts are facts - and I share them with the world especially when they are related to the business, and workings of photography as it is interelated to software providers and the economic history of this or any nation. One only need pick up a history book to verify the facts as I have presented them.

If there is no pride or satisfaction with the history of how nations and industry have been ran in the past - then FIX IT. As for me - I am very proud of the way things are - I'm not complaining. Love it...or leave it...

Every fact that I share is with the intent of promoting - helping - and enjoying a better future to our trade, hobby, interest. If no one sees the good nature and fellowship of opening up the facts. THEN we are in deep trouble. Thus resizing the image has become a control issue, and I am not talking about the control of the image - thus is the way the image tyranny began.

Let me put it this way - image processing can take up a lot of time - and when certain un-named software companies take up more time than is necessary - keeping me from family time - not to mention the pain and suffering of carpal tunnel - then I like to warn the people I love - which just happens to be photographers. Some one asks how to best resize a photo - I want to set them on a track of a reliable way to do so with the least amount of economics, pain and suffering as possible so that they can get back to their families - with out their arms and shoulders hurting to the point of no return.

So my best interest is at heart for whoever wants to resize an image - and I get the snag for opinion peddling. I've been doing this a long time, to provide for my loved ones and enjoy as a career. I desire to warn anyone of a dangerous and painful experience. Fortified with FACTS. Resizing an image is simply a FACT FINDING MISSION. Perhaps a Crusade for me...If you don't like what my facts are or how I express them - you can always change channels...no one is stopping you. Certainly not me...
This thread has not been moderated...just remember that the written word can come across differently than when you are talking to someone face to face...just don't want things to get out of hand. Appreciate the understanding on this...no one is "in trouble."
No one in trouble? That's no fun.. I was hoping to get sent to the free speech jail and get my spanking, Oh well, a good since of humor even costic humor has value - when I was in the war, they always gave me the bull horn. Cause the things I say and write have been known to cause injury - even deaf.
For those who want to resize more images at a time, on the run, Fast Image Resizer is a really good tool. Simple, drag and drop functionality, fuss free and light on resources. You can find it if you google it. Cheers!
Being a newbee and all that has been said, I need to ask a few basic questions.
When resizing is used, is it a reduction in the size of the finale print or is it reduction of the pictels. I shoot in raw and jpeg because I don't know what the end result will be. I know, in time I will understand, however, in the very beginning, I am confused with the terminology.
(Aug 5, 2013, 18:03)Eli Ho Wrote: [ -> ]Being a newbee and all that has been said, I need to ask a few basic questions.
When resizing is used, is it a reduction in the size of the finale print or is it reduction of the pictels. I shoot in raw and jpeg because I don't know what the end result will be. I know, in time I will understand, however, in the very beginning, I am confused with the terminology.

Print size is not 'directly' related to the number of pixels (not pictels).

Most printers have ratings of 200-300 DPI (dots per inch).
So, for a 640x480 PIXEL image, a good quality print can be had up to about 3.5" x 2.4".
You COULD print bigger, but the print quality would go down.

Resizing that image to, say, 320x240, would make it so GOOD prints would only be 1.6" x 1.2".

Remember that the image size (in pixels) divided by the DPI of the printer only gives you the MAXIMUM size for a maximum resolution print. You can print smaller than that with no problems.

Wall-E
(Aug 12, 2013, 16:39)Wall-E Wrote: [ -> ]
(Aug 5, 2013, 18:03)Eli Ho Wrote: [ -> ]Being a newbee and all that has been said, I need to ask a few basic questions.
Thanks Wall-E. I am begining to understand. If I use a Nikon D-3000 and shoot in raw to prepair for the best post processing, and I want to make a print at 8x11 and later want a 16x20, is the resolutation going to be good and if not how would I increase the size and achive good resolutation? Eli

So, for a 640x480 PIXEL image, a good quality print can be had up to about 3.5" x 2.4".

Resizing that image to, say, 320x240, would make it so GOOD prints would only be 1.6" x 1.2".

Remember that the image size (in pixels) divided by the DPI of the printer only gives you the MAXIMUM size for a maximum resolution print. You can print smaller than that with no problems.

Wall-E

(Aug 12, 2013, 17:38)Eli Ho Wrote: [ -> ]
(Aug 12, 2013, 16:39)Wall-E Wrote: [ -> ]
Thanks Wall-E. I am begining to understand. If I use a Nikon D-3000 and shoot in raw to prepair for the best post processing, and I want to make a print at 8x11 and later want a 16x20, is the resolutation going to be good and if not how would I increase the size and achive good resolutation? Eli

Wall-E
I am assumeing, when using the largest number of "pixels" that will take up much more space on ones camera and computer and when processing, you can reduce that number to make smaller prints, however, what if you wanted a smaller print and wanted to keep the size. Another thought, what if you wanted to share the pic and keep the size. Can you go back to original size, once you have reduced the size and sent the pic?

Pages: 1 2