DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Help what lens to buy next??!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
help and advice please i am wanting a new lens to start portraits, i have narrowed it down to a couple first the Nikon 50mm f/1.8G, or Nikon 35mm f1.8 G AF-S DX Lens.... they are priced pritty much the same. or if you have experience or knowledge of any other please advise very confused newby...
Hello and welcome to shuttertalk funkymunky Smile If i were to choose from this two lens you just mentioned I would go for the 50mm f/1.8G. Giving them a more tight perspective which is good for portrait sessions. But that would just be me Smile Enjoy your stay here.
thanks i was thinking the 50 but wondered if a closer lens for portrait may be better Smile
Certainly not the 35mm, 90/100mm ideal for portraits. Why not consider a Zoom lens, and get it's other benifits. I only use a 18/200 Tamron. Ed.
i was looking at the tamron, but in the end decided on a sigma 70-300mm the blur is so much better than my 55mm and i can get a bit more light in with it just i thought it would be better to get a bit closer to my subjects, and to play with wide angle and fish eye with it... i had considered trading in my 17-55mm for a 35 or 50 but then i loose the short zoom. GGrrrrrr i hate making decisions lol
(Aug 28, 2013, 03:29)funkymunky Wrote: [ -> ]i was looking at the tamron, but in the end decided on a sigma 70-300mm the blur is so much better than my 55mm and i can get a bit more light in with it just i thought it would be better to get a bit closer to my subjects, and to play with wide angle and fish eye with it... i had considered trading in my 17-55mm for a 35 or 50 but then i loose the short zoom. GGrrrrrr i hate making decisions lol

Most of the pro's use prime (non-zoom) lenses in the 80mm to 105mm range.
The 35 or 50 mm lenses you mention will give you a lot of pincushion/barrel distortion on the faces.
thanks peeps i am finding all your advice very helpful.
pincushion/barrel distortion on the faces is that going to be a problem or can i fix or correct it later in PS? i have decided to go for the 50mm, as i dont have £600-£700 for a 80mm + prime lens just yet lol i have my other zoom lens if needed but thought i would enjoy a prime lens as it means i have to move about my subject and just stand and zoom in n out lol.. thanks for your advice on this subject guys Smile
Taken with Tamron 28/200mm (35mm Camera} Lens. Zoom would be about 100/120. Remember, this is a small file. Ed.