DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Photography Camera lenses
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Recently I had the misfortune of dropping my camera bag into the lake. It was not totally submerged but two of my three lenses had a bit of water in them After three weeks they are clearing. Has anyone had such an experience? Are they lenses ever useable again? Thank youo
Ensure they are totally dry, and try them. Ed.
(Sep 2, 2013, 09:44)EdMak Wrote: [ -> ]Ensure they are totally dry, and try them. Ed.

Thank you Ed. Are they totally dry when the pic is sharp?
If no sign of moisture, and really carefully checked at mount end, particularly contacts, if happy with pics, would seem OK to me, time would tell if nothing lasting happened. Ed.
Thank you Ed. I think that they are clearing. Time will tell. I will have to wait a while longer.
Assume you are not insured?? Ed.
(Sep 4, 2013, 01:17)EdMak Wrote: [ -> ]Assume you are not insured?? Ed.

No and for the camera but house insurance is asking for the deductible Will have to take the loss of the camera. Thanks
(Sep 4, 2013, 01:17)EdMak Wrote: [ -> ]Assume you are not insured?? Ed.

No not for the camera but house insurance is asking for the deductible Will have to take the loss of the camera. Thanks
Try this:

Put the lens into a pillow case or similar. Put THAT into a plastic bag with 1-2 pounds of uncooked rice. Bury it in the rice. Seal the bag for at least a couple of days, better for a week. The rice will draw the moisture out of the lens.
(Sep 4, 2013, 10:46)Wall-E Wrote: [ -> ]Try this:

Put the lens into a pillow case or similar. Put THAT into a plastic bag with 1-2 pounds of uncooked rice. Bury it in the rice. Seal the bag for at least a couple of days, better for a week. The rice will draw the moisture out of the lens.

Your suggestion is much appreciated - will try that. Thanks
(Sep 2, 2013, 08:36)bluenose Wrote: [ -> ]Recently I had the misfortune of dropping my camera bag into the lake. It was not totally submerged but two of my three lenses had a bit of water in them After three weeks they are clearing. Has anyone had such an experience? Are they lenses ever useable again? Thank youo