DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Keeping a Back Up Camera - Do you?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Do you keep a back up camera with you on your adventures? Looking forward to your comments and discussions! Thanks for sharing! Smile

(Sep 5, 2013, 13:26)Barbara G. Wrote: [ -> ]Do you keep a back up camera with you on your adventures? Looking forward to your comments and discussions! Thanks for sharing! Smile
My main camera is a Canon 7D and my back up camera is a Canon 40D. I am really not sure why I keep the 40D as I have never "needed" it and I rarely use it. I am giving serious thought to passing it on to my granddaughter.

(Sep 7, 2013, 10:34)olcoach Wrote: [ -> ]
(Sep 5, 2013, 13:26)Barbara G. Wrote: [ -> ]Do you keep a back up camera with you on your adventures? Looking forward to your comments and discussions! Thanks for sharing! Smile

My main camera is a Canon 7D and my back up camera is a Canon 40D. I am really not sure why I keep the 40D as I have never "needed" it and I rarely use it. I am giving serious thought to passing it on to my granddaughter.

I ALWAYS have a second body and at least 2 other lenses with me whenever I'm shooting. And since I bought a D2xs, I'v been bringing both my D200's. I don't want to EVER miss a shot because my ONLY camera/lens died. I get paid to get the shot, not to make excuses.

I have a Nikon D90 and a Nikon D5000 as a back up. I also have medium format and 35mm cameras which all have back ups!
I kept my 5D when I bought my 1D X and it, the 5D, goes everywhere I travel. That way, I always have a backup. I have been to Africa a couple of times and have found that the second camera is quite handy. I shoot with a 100-400mmL IS lens on my 1D X for most of the game shots and put my 24-105 on my 5D for those scenics when the 100-400 is just too long. That way, I always have the telephoto ready and I don't spend a lot of time changing lenses when I am out on a game drive.

I figure that I spend a bit of $$ to get to some of these more remote places and I do not want to be without a second DSLR if my primary one has problems.

WesternGuy
Never carried a backup for first 20+ years, then used a roll film as backup, although carried primarily to use if ran out of plates. In 51 years, never has a mishap, just lucky? Ed.
(Nov 27, 2013, 05:52)EdMak Wrote: [ -> ]Never carried a backup for first 20+ years, then used a roll film as backup, although carried primarily to use if ran out of plates. In 51 years, never has a mishap, just lucky? Ed.

EdMak;

What did you carry as a primary?
Initially, a Goertz, 1/4 Plate, with 12 slides. Then a VN with 24 slides, as pic, (Luxury) Ed.
(Nov 27, 2013, 10:47)EdMak Wrote: [ -> ]Initially, a Goertz, 1/4 Plate, with 12 slides. Then a VN with 24 slides, as pic, (Luxury) Ed.

Well.....No wonder you didn't have any failures. There's practically nothing to GO wrong.
I recommend getting a smartphone with a decent camera. Easy to carry and always with you!
I never go out photographing with just one camera. Last Sunday I was out with my Canon EOS 650D, Pentax Spotmatic SP1000 and Zeiss Ikon Nettar 517/16. It is not so much about having a back-up, more to do with the cameras record in different ways and I like having the choice.
Wall-e I meant no failures, all cameras, in 51 years! Cheers. Ed.
Before no I don't but since I learn from my mistake, I do from then on Smile Use my Nikon D700 as primary and D90 as backup. Lens I always carry my 18-135mm with me attach to my D90 and it never get off on that body ever since Smile
(Nov 27, 2013, 17:57)PhotoPlay Wrote: [ -> ]Before no I don't but since I learn from my mistake, I do from then on Smile Use my Nikon D700 as primary and D90 as backup. Lens I always carry my 18-135mm with me attach to my D90 and it never get off on that body ever since Smile

Hmm, would you recommend the 18-135 over the 18-105? I suppose there's quite the price difference, but is it worth it?
(Nov 28, 2013, 03:54)kNox Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm, would you recommend the 18-135 over the 18-105? I suppose there's quite the price difference, but is it worth it?

I got my 18-135 with my Nikon D80 as a kit before. Yes I would recommend 18-135 but would also go anything that covers great ranges like going higher from 18-200,300 if I would had chances before. Other basis for lens comparison stay the same except for its range and pricing Smile

Oh I also forgot, during wedding coverage I do have another 1 back up Nikon D80 that only stays in the bag just in case for failure of backup cam I still have one within the area.
And, what I finished up with, Rollie was backup Ed.

Real nostalgic kit there Ed. Smile

What have been known as 'proper cameras'. !!

Regards.

Phil.
(Nov 28, 2013, 14:53)EdMak Wrote: [ -> ]And, what I finished up with, Rollie was backup Ed.

Are you still using this camera Ed?
Last used about 10/12 years ago. Gave it to a friend who worked with me, 2 years ago, he does use it. A square neg never appealed to me, had a 16 on attachment, which was better. Used this Olympus, both expensive and scarce on release, about 2 years ago, was disappointed with results, had negs scanned onto a CD, but to me, results were poor. In next few months will have to make an effort to dispose of about 40/50 cameras, including two 10x8" plate cameras, used when I started work, complete with case and plate holders. Hope to take a pic of all, will post when done. Ed.

Yes I do maybe not every single time I'm out shooting but if it is a special event and or an exceptional day weather wise I will tote along with me a back up camera. My dilemma at times is what lenses should I bring ? A sweet dilemma for an amateur photographer I must say. Has anyone else found themselves in a similar situation ? Ron KWinkBig Grin

No problem to me Ron, only have one camera, one lens! Ed.