DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Mid level camera makers in trouble?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Very interesting news story.

Several years ago one of my technical colleagues (chemist) predicted that the cell phone cameras were now sufficient for the average user that "Point & Shoots" would just cease selling.

And DSLRs were simply a bad idea from the start. A big noisy mirror and shutter flapping and vibrating is bad for image quality, and expensive to build versus a sensor that is simply clocked to get correct exposure.
(Jan 4, 2014, 07:42)WDHewson Wrote: [ -> ]Very interesting news story.

Several years ago one of my technical colleagues (chemist) predicted that the cell phone cameras were now sufficient for the average user that "Point & Shoots" would just cease selling.

And DSLRs were simply a bad idea from the start. A big noisy mirror and shutter flapping and vibrating is bad for image quality, and expensive to build versus a sensor that is simply clocked to get correct exposure.

Well.... Looks like your colleague was at least partially wrong.
There is still a fairly strong market for P&S cameras.
And he may have a point about the mirror, but that's because it's a carry-on from film SLR's. There are plenty of people that swear that their mirrorless cameras give better images compared to similarly priced DSLRs. The only thing I can't get used to is not having an optical viewfinder. I find the electronic viewfinder too slow to catch any sort of fast action, like sports.
It's a pretty small sample size, but I think that I've noticed the P&S departments in a few stores get pretty small compared to 5 years ago. And in at least one of these stores, there are no sales people who can tell you anything about a P&S, but they can take a picture with their iphone. The future will unfold as it will.