DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: New York Institute of Photography
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone know about the reputation of the New York Institute of Photography?
Hello,

Welcome to the photography forums! It is a pleasure to meet you and have you here with us! I am not familiar with this institution. Are you planning on maybe attending?
(Jan 19, 2014, 10:03)mda327 Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone know about the reputation of the New York Institute of Photography?

I took one of their courses way back about 40 years ago, and the course was very good and they had an excellent reputation. As they are still in business, I would expect that they are still very reputable. As a matter of fact, I think I'll check them out again to see what they are offering now.
(Jan 19, 2014, 10:03)mda327 Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone know about the reputation of the New York Institute of Photography?
I had used the New York Institute of Photography more than 30 years ago, and it was brilliant. I am in the UK, and NYI had opened a branch there, and I was amongst the first students, their instruction was TERRIFIC, the tutors were experienced professional photographers, the course material was absolutely first class, in fact I passed it to my son, who's photography jumped from amateur, to professional level, in almost no time, and became a semi-professional, and used his skills in getting a lot of work, almost too much to handle (He is an IT professional). Hope this helps
What sort of prices? Ta. Ed.
Has Yourself/Son got a website to see some of your Pics? Ed.
It is a photography organization that teaches you how to become a better photographer..or so they advertise...they can be located on the web. I am looking for someone who may have recently taken one or more of their courses.

Hi, Their rep is OK. I found much of their stuff to be a bit dated. If you are thinking of taking their course don't rush into as the longer you wait the cheaper it gets as they will continue to send you lower prices to entice you to sign up. Good luck.
(Feb 1, 2014, 12:52)olcoach Wrote: [ -> ]

Hi, Their rep is OK. I found much of their stuff to be a bit dated. If you are thinking of taking their course don't rush into as the longer you wait the cheaper it gets as they will continue to send you lower prices to entice you to sign up. Good luck.

thank you...are there any other courses that may be better?
(Feb 1, 2014, 20:06)mda327 Wrote: [ -> ]thank you...are there any other courses that may be better?

What is it that you think you might get from a correspondence course?

If you are inexperienced at the controls of your camera, I would suggest looking around for someone local, maybe a camera or photography club. Or a local camera shop or even the local community college (or whatever the equivalent is where you live).
If you're in the states, try meetup.com. A lot of photography groups are there (I'm in 4 or 5 right now).
Or you can checkout Fisheyeconnect.com. Local instructors post there.
The NYIP course that I took some 30 years ago had sections on all aspects of professional photography including landscape, fashion, product, portrait, wildlife etc etc. Many of these held little interest for me. I would have preferred a course on landscape and nature photography as they are my interest. I have no wish to be a professional photographer and spoil all the fun I am having. If I were doing it again I would seek out training more focussed on my interests.