DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: What software do you use for viewing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I can't seem to find a image viewer that I like - I've tried irfanview (maybe an early version) but I didn't like the interface... maybe I'm just fussy Big Grin

At the moment, I'm using the one that comes with windows XP and that's bad... really bad...

Any suggestions?
i use the picture viewer built in windows XP for quick viewing or photoshop
Paint shop pro, photoshop and sometimes I load the pics to www.ofoto.com
Used to use the 'Windows Picture and Fax Viewer' when using XP but I am onw back on 2000 'cause XP just sh**s me and my 2000 cpoy is legit, I am currently using XnView it works and it has a 'explorer' with better thumbnail support than the basic windows explorer =)
I use the picture viewer that comes with windows, but for RAWs, I use capture 1.
Mmm C1 ...
ACDsee isnt too bad either .. but might as well use the in windows XP one for most .
Does anyone use the photoshop browser?
I don't really.
I usually depends on the thumbnails preview in windows to find the picture I want, then to look at it, I'll use the windowsXP default image viewer. It can do the basic things I require, resize (with the powertoy), rotate, view full screen, zoom in, out Smile

Does it's job well.
i wouldnt eva use the photoshoop one .. .
having photoshop open just makes my compute rlag more. . .stoopid memory goblins!!
I, too, use XP's viewer. I used to use the 'filmstrip' view in Windows Explorer but it has mysteriously disppeared... any one else have this happen?
I don't know how to get filmstrip view in Windows Explorer! haha!
I guess that mine's always been disappeared.
I've just started using the viewer that came in the ArcSoft Suite that came with my cam. So far, so good - has a basic editor built in: resize, crop, rotate, etc.
Hm... that seems to get bundled with everything... printers, cameras, scanners... I don't really like the unnecessary space taken up by the GUI...

They don't retain EXIF info too, which is bad. =/
shuttertalk Wrote:They don't retain EXIF info too, which is bad. =/

OK, so explain this whole EXIF thing to me... as a digicam newbie, I don't really understand the importance - besides, perhaps, datestamping. One weird thing I noticed is that the EXIF data for all of my pics says that the flash was used whether it actually was or not!
EXIF is embedded Data within an image ..
ie ..
it can store the
-Focal lenth ..
-dimensions
-shutter speed
-resolution...
-time /date ,,,

and more +++

so basically ..what hes saying is that when u use the program to change anything ..
the new file loses all this data ...
OK, I understand what it is, I just don't get why it's so important to keep on manipulated images since the end result is different anyway and therefore no good for comparing aperture or shutter speed, etc.
soe people like to retain the info even on modified picture..
so you can still see what the original environment is ..
i mean ..
most of the time when u process ..
u dont do much to it ...

and its always nice to have the EXIF data ther eif u wanna look at it later ..
Yeah, and when you upload to photo galleries like coppermine, pbase, etc. , they usually extract the exif info and display it on the page along with your image. Big Grin
BTW, I found out my filmstrip view isn't 'lost'!! By default, it's only enabled for the 'My Pictures' folder but not automatically enabled on sub-folders (stupid, Gates!). To make matters worse it's about a five-step process to enable it on each and every folder - no 'apply to subfolders' option!

EDIT: Ooops - my apologies to Mr. Gates... there IS a 'apply to subfolders' option and it DOES apply to newly created sub-folders. My bad.
shuttertalk Wrote:Hm... that seems to get bundled with everything... printers, cameras, scanners... I don't really like the unnecessary space taken up by the GUI...

They don't retain EXIF info too, which is bad. =/

I hate to contradict you ST, but I just noticed that PhotoBase4 does retain the EXIF data... and the GUI in the editor hardly takes up any space at all...

Screenshot: PhotoBase4 Viewer/Editor
[Image: PBase4.jpg]
Oh really? Cool... I must admit, those opinions were based on older versions. Big Grin
shuttertalk Wrote:I must admit, those opinions were based on older versions. Big Grin
That's kinda what I figured...
P.s. did you take that photo of that rodent?? It's so cute! Big Grin
Yeah, I took it, at the local park there's a little zoo: sheep, goats, llamas, emus, peacocks and the rabbit pen, which also has a couple guinea pigs, such as our friend up there.

This little guy was the cutest of the bunch...
[Image: P1010060_cr_rz600.jpg]

Worst case of 'bed-head' I've ever seen!!
[Image: P1010064_rz600.jpg]