DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Using Skype Screen Grabs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

If I screen grab an image from Skype, am I the photographer or is the subject the photographer? Am I stealing someone else's "selfie"? I think this is an important ethical question. In the image attached (my daughter and granddaughter) I processed the image to make it attractive, in my eyes at least, to make a portrait.

[Image: skypesamtraceySM.jpg]

Mother and Child: Skype Screen Grab
(Mar 29, 2014, 09:38)Don Schaeffer Wrote: [ -> ]If I screen grab an image from Skype, am I the photographer or is the subject the photographer? Am I stealing someone else's "selfie"? I think this is an important ethical question. In the image attached (my daughter and granddaughter) I processed the image to make it attractive, in my eyes at least, to make a portrait.

Her camera, her image.

That aside, I DO hope that you're not contemplating trying to use that image for anything more than a 4x6. It has insufficient/bad lighting.
Thanks Wall-E.
Your daughter looks just like you across the eyes Don.
(Mar 29, 2014, 09:38)Don Schaeffer Wrote: [ -> ]If I screen grab an image from Skype, am I the photographer or is the subject the photographer? Am I stealing someone else's "selfie"? I think this is an important ethical question. In the image attached (my daughter and granddaughter) I processed the image to make it attractive, in my eyes at least, to make a portrait.

You have a wonderful family, Don Smile

I'd say you are the photographer. She is making a video, you are making the photo out of it. Plus, you are the one pushing the button (or printscreen key Big Grin ) in right moment.
Thanks Phil. I think so. Thank you Korry. I was hoping someone would say that.
You should still ask for an artists release / permission before publishing.

Mike
I would if I were to publish it. I only have to ask because it's my photo.