DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Which Lenses should I keep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Which lens should I keep?
I’ve heard that kit lenses that come with cameras are poor quality, but with my photography skills, it’s probably a moot point. It seems to be a no brainer to get rid of the telephoto lens that came with the Rebel t3i since I have two, I think, better quality telephoto lenses already.
I have considered using the EFS 17-55 mm that came with my Canon 30D on the Rebel t3i however the lens weighs as much or more than the camera and my goal is to lighten the load.
Lenses I’ve been using with the Canon 30D:
*EFS 17-55 mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM (Came with Camera) 67mm diameter
EF 70-300 mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
EFS 55-250 mm 1:4-5.6 IS (I use this lens more than the EF 70-300 because its smaller and lighter to carry).
*EFS 10-22 mm 1:3.5 – 4.5 USM 77mm diameter
EF 50 mm 1:1.4 USM

Rebel t3i came with:
EFS 18-55 mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300 mm 1:4-5.6 III
*All other lenses have a 58mm diameter. Sort of important considering all the filters or adaptors needed with the different size lenses.
I hope this is not too confusing, perhaps I should have just listed the lenses with out the other information.
It would seem that you have answered your question for yourself. It would also seem fairly obvious to keep any lenses that you use, that you prefer carrying, and that give you results that you are satisfied with. Perhaps another consideration is that, when you decide to sell/exchange one/both of the camera bodies, some potential buyers (e.g. newbies) might be more attracted to one that comes with one or two kit lenses.

Cheers.
Philip
(Jul 2, 2014, 16:04)MrB Wrote: [ -> ]It would seem that you have answered your question for yourself. It would also seem fairly obvious to keep any lenses that you use, that you prefer carrying, and that give you results that you are satisfied with. Perhaps another consideration is that, when you decide to sell/exchange one/both of the camera bodies, some potential buyers (e.g. newbies) might be more attracted to one that comes with one or two kit lenses.

Cheers.
Philip

Thanks Philip
I guess after writing and rewriting, editing... so many times in an effort to explain everything, that I did in fact answer my own question. Can't see the forest for the trees sometimes.
(Jul 1, 2014, 17:56)Webslow Wrote: [ -> ]Which lens should I keep?
I’ve heard that kit lenses that come with cameras are poor quality, but with my photography skills, it’s probably a moot point. It seems to be a no brainer to get rid of the telephoto lens that came with the Rebel t3i since I have two, I think, better quality telephoto lenses already.
I have considered using the EFS 17-55 mm that came with my Canon 30D on the Rebel t3i however the lens weighs as much or more than the camera and my goal is to lighten the load.
Lenses I’ve been using with the Canon 30D:
*EFS 17-55 mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM (Came with Camera) 67mm diameter
EF 70-300 mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
EFS 55-250 mm 1:4-5.6 IS (I use this lens more than the EF 70-300 because its smaller and lighter to carry).
*EFS 10-22 mm 1:3.5 – 4.5 USM 77mm diameter
EF 50 mm 1:1.4 USM

Rebel t3i came with:
EFS 18-55 mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300 mm 1:4-5.6 III
*All other lenses have a 58mm diameter. Sort of important considering all the filters or adaptors needed with the different size lenses.
I hope this is not too confusing, perhaps I should have just listed the lenses with out the other information.

I hope you like using the EF 50 mm 1:1.4 USM...it's a keeper. It is your fastest lens and it will migrate to full frame where the EF-S won't.

Your second fastest lense is *EFS 10-22 mm 1:3.5 – 4.5 USM 77mm diameter

I don't know this lens but it is wide! Pick your best telephoto and your done.

I am a prime lens nut...always the best focus...so much faster and more flexible than a variable focal length lense...but I digress...they do have a purpose.