DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Extension tubes vs close-up filters vs reverser rings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

I have rent a macro like 2 years ago but never tryed macro since. I want to buy a cheap way to have some fun doing some close ups ( flowers for the most of the time)
Any idea whats the best "cheap" choice?!

Thanks
I tried both. Reverser rings get you really high magnification but control of the camera gets very complicated. Extension tubes cause big light losses, the higher the magnification the longer the exposure you need. Magnifying filters work well enough for me. There is no light loss and you still have full control of the camera. I bought a Raynox Macroscopic Lens about 5 years ago and it works very well, giving near 1:1 magnification. I don't think my macros are all that good, but they are fun to play with. I also have an SVP DM540 macro camera. What it lacks in sharpness it makes up for in ease of use.
Thanks! yeah I think I will go for the magnifying filters, the results look prety good, I will make sure to buy good ones at least, as I saw some cheapo ones in amazon and the results were terrible! The glass quality needs to be there.
A friend of mine has the Raynox and gets very good results. It also seems to get good reviews on the web and there some great macro example shots using the Raynox DCR 250 here:

https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=raynox+dcr-250&s=int

Cheers.
Philip
(Oct 17, 2014, 05:36)MrB Wrote: [ -> ]A friend of mine has the Raynox and gets very good results. It also seems to get good reviews on the web and there some great macro example shots using the Raynox DCR 250 here:

https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=raynox+dcr-250&s=int

Cheers.
Philip

Thanks Philip, I didnt knew the raynox but the pic are great! I will take a look.
(Oct 16, 2014, 08:39)Daniel_Champion Wrote: [ -> ]I have rent a macro like 2 years ago but never tryed macro since. I want to buy a cheap way to have some fun doing some close ups ( flowers for the most of the time)
Any idea whats the best "cheap" choice?!

Thanks

If you want to try out macro very cheap - then a set of "dumb" extension tubes. You can get these for about £10. Problem with cheap dumb tubes is that the lens electronics don't get passed through - so you are on full manual focus and exposure - and the aperture will go to min f.

If you use Canon (don't know if it works for other brands) you can get round this by putting the lens directly on the camera - select the f number you want, press the depth of field preview button, and remove the lens with the button pressed. The lens will hold the chosen f. then fit the tubes and the lens to the tube.

It is a bit of a fiddle, but you can have a good play for next to no money