DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Faces of a beautiful people
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'd like to introduce you to some delightful people from The high Andes in Peru.

It would be great if Ed and others would consider waving your magic wands over these....and comments welcomed...

(K5 Jan14)

Regards all

Jeff

In my opinion, Jeff, these shots are fantastic as they are.
Regards, Mike.
Jeff 10 mts. Photoshop, using Laptop, there is room for improvement. All Crackers. Ed.
(Nov 4, 2014, 16:40)Browser Mike Wrote: [ -> ]In my opinion, Jeff, these shots are fantastic as they are.
Regards, Mike.

So glad you like them, Mike. Cheers!
(Nov 4, 2014, 16:47)EdMak Wrote: [ -> ]Jeff 10 mts. Photoshop, using Laptop, there is room for improvement. All Crackers. Ed.

Ed you are a genius.

How about the little girl......????

And..what are you doing to these shots? I am doing a bit more with Light room but need a suitable resource to introduce me to Photoshop if you can suggest something?

Regards

Jeff

Just away to bed, this was 5/6 mts. Ed.
Would you mind a monochrome?

[attachment=3825]

[ Processed in PaintShop Pro X6 ]

And I agree with Mike - the colour ones are excellent just as they are.

Cheers.
Philip
[attachment=3826]Tha advantage of post processing is that you can have your cake, and, eat it. Many choices, and can keep all.

I missed a bit on the jumper, easily remedied.

Here is 2 for the price of one.

All I do Jeff, is open in Camera Raw, adjust as I see it, then Photoshop proper and, again, get what I like, have no set formula. I was fortunate to be shown the "Mysteries" of P/S, I was getting nowhere on my own, bought several books, appeared to be written in Swahili. Many tutorials online. Learned friend says that If you have CS3, it will do all, and more, for the normal user. I use CS4E. Cheers. Ed.
Hi Ed What you have done is brilliant and I would love to learn those skills. But I think there is a discussion to be had...

The shepherd background: the background you have given - does it not make it look rather like a studio portrait? The background I had - bits of hut and so forth was too distracting so I tried to blur it a bit but I am not really progressed sufficiently to replace backgrounds as you did. And the bold colours on the face - do they not cover the slight apprehension that is obvious in the less professional version I posted? See, what I saw up there in the swirly mists and wide bitter mountains was a man of incredible strength yet with his own inner frailties...a lovely guy and just like you and me.

Now, my guess is you could enhance the original without losing the features I mentioned.

And the teen girl - the image seems to have disappeared so here it is again - I do wonder if the strength you infused into the facial features has masked some of the childlikeness in the original and the way she was feeling at that point.

Love to know what you and others think about all this...

Regards all, Jeff
(Nov 4, 2014, 19:02)MrB Wrote: [ -> ]Would you mind a monochrome?

[ Processed in PaintShop Pro X6 ]

And I agree with Mike - the colour ones are excellent just as they are.

Cheers.
Philip

Philip I absolutely love this - your mono version says all the right things in that face - strength with vulnerability...

I suppose I dream of a background that speaks of the wild mountain where he leads his sheep but I think that relates to the colour version. Maybe in time to come I an pinch a background from other shots at the time.

Just a thought - could I put this mono and Ed's colour version on my shutterfly site along with the orginal? Would you mind? Have a great day! I'm now off to collect my Nikon, back from pro cleaning after weeks in high humidity...Jeff
Good morning Jeff.

It seemed to me that you intended this shot of the alpaca shepherd to be all about the character, so the background seemed irrelevant. But, whatever I did to it during processing the mono, it was always distracting, therefore I decided to remove it and have a plain dark grey background instead.

It is pleasing to read that you like this mono version, and it is yours - you are welcome to use it however you wish. Smile

Cheers.
Philip
Jeff, all this is interesting, boils down to my signature, to each his own. If we all thought the same, well. Here is your original as is, only blurred your background. I think it needs a bit more headroom, again, personal. Cheers. Ed.
Wonderful images - so much character in those faces. Thanks for sharing.
Peter.
(Nov 4, 2014, 16:00)Freeman Wrote: [ -> ]I'd like to introduce you to some delightful people from The high Andes in Peru.

It would be great if Ed and others would consider waving your magic wands over these....and comments welcomed...

(K5 Jan14)

Regards all

Jeff

I couldn't leave the old lady out. How about this.

[Image: Chivaymarketstallholderresize2_zps30e357ea.jpg]

Beautiful people...and beautiful pictures, Freeman. They transpire love and professionalism , and tons of respect towards people. Excellent job!!!
I found these images truly inspiring, so thank you for sharing. If you have the time, it would be great to have some insight into how you took them. Like you I use Lightroom, which I am slowly getting to know, and I'd hoped that it would be all I'd ever need. This thread has convinced me that it's not quite enough, which is not to say that I like everything that has been done to your originals. I found Anthony Morganti's videos really helpful in getting me going with Lightroom and I'm hoping he'll be as helpful with Photoshop. The issue for me now is whether I start off with Elements. I'd be interested in knowing what you decide to do. Rob
(Nov 5, 2014, 08:51)webber Wrote: [ -> ]
(Nov 4, 2014, 16:00)Freeman Wrote: [ -> ]I'd like to introduce you to some delightful people from The high Andes in Peru.

(K5 Jan14)

Regards all

Jeff

I couldn't leave the old lady out. How about this.

[Image: Chivaymarketstallholderresize2_zps30e357ea.jpg]

Absolutely wonderful, Webber, and I have to say since seeing the raw emotional impact of your mono versions I have been converted to trying mono myself. So many thanks! Jeff

Dear friends

Massive thanks and appreciation for your wonderful comments and amazing contributions to this thread. It's been an education frankly and my photography forward is indelibly changed through it. I'm also highly encouraged.

In answer to the question about how I took the pictures I can only really say that my brother and I travel together now and again (our wives no longer interested in long haul adventures) and we have a bundle of fun together (couple of old buffers really). But we include folks around us wherever we go in the happy hype and take a real interest in them. The Inca driver for instance didn't speak a word of English but when we parted he put me in an Inca hug lock which said everything. Bro Martin in particular has a wonderful personality - he just makes everyone feel terrific - royalty or pauper it doesn't matter to him. I will share a snap of us two plus one of a small child who is actually looking at Martin off stage...you can see she is mesmerised (like all the girls I have to say!). The point is that when I lift my camera - not a moment too soon - the subjects are showing what I read as trust? Some say to be a successful photographer you have to be willing to be unpleasant. I say the opposite.

Our next trip in January is to Ecuador and Galapagos so I hope he will also charm the birds there...

More in a separate response about Photoshop and so forth. Regards all and thanks again...Jeff

Pictures added:

1. Brothers Martin and Jeff in Peru
2. Tiny Tot looking at Mart off stage

And to end this series from me (but don;t hold back on further contributions) - these next two ladies (one of whom you know already) collapsed in hilarious self-conscious shrieks when they saw their faces on my camera screen...

3. Queen of Chivay market - the perfect model
4. Friend of Queen of Chivay market

All the shots in this series were taken on the same day as I recall. I very much recommend Peru as a wonderful place to go. Mind you, Chivay is truly odd...

Cheers, Jeff
RobS - I hope you won't mind but I used your question to start a new thread. It is timely for me personally as well as yourself, and we may hopefully be able to draw out experience from others. It is certainly worth a wider consideration so thanks for raising it. What do you think? Regards Jeff