DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Going full frame.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

What's the best option we can buy at the moment if we want to go full frame?
I'm only considering Nikon as all my lenses are nikon.

I've been looking some reviews on the D750 and I know its a camera between the D610 and D810, but is it worth the price difference from D610?

Thanks
What is it about your photography that now makes you want to consider changing (or adding to) your gear?

[ Re. http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/Thread...5#pid96925 ]

Cheers.
Philip
I am also planning on upgrading from my D300 that I have had for several years now and I have been also thinking of the D750. I use the 18-200mm lens and a sigma 50-500mm lens very frequently. Will both these work well with the D750? Thanks
(Nov 8, 2014, 00:14)Daniel_Champion Wrote: [ -> ]What's the best option we can buy at the moment if we want to go full frame?
I'm only considering Nikon as all my lenses are nikon.

I've been looking some reviews on the D750 and I know its a camera between the D610 and D810, but is it worth the price difference from D610?

Thanks

I am a Sony user but in my opinion the D750 is an excellent camera and I would be surprised if you were disappointed by your purchase. Is it worth the price differential?
If cost was the only factor we would all be using point and shoot. You have to ask if the extra features are what you want, also that intangible factor of knowing you have a better featured / newer technology device.
I can't make that decision for you but as I said earlier, " I would be surprised if you were disappointed by your purchase."
What is full frame? Not mentioned in my Basic Photog book Langford.

Ruth Baillie
The Sensor, is the same size as a 35mm negative. Ed.
(Nov 8, 2014, 04:32)MrB Wrote: [ -> ]What is it about your photography that now makes you want to consider changing (or adding to) your gear?

[ Re. http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/Thread...5#pid96925 ]

Cheers.
Philip

I still love Chase Jarvis work with the cheap cameras ahah. But I'm doing a lot more freelancer jobs and I'm starting to think if I should start a pro career or not.
But the main reason is because I reached the income that I need to afford a FX camera with my freelancer jobs. I'm doing Sports photography , some weddings, model shooting and product photography, I think my old D7000 deserves a new budy to help her !

Thanks Philippe

Daniel
Personally I do not see an upgrade as a "Magic Wand" to take better pics, or, obtain more work, again, my thoughts. Ed.
(Nov 14, 2014, 14:10)EdMak Wrote: [ -> ]Personally I do not see an upgrade as a "Magic Wand" to take better pics, or, obtain more work, again, my thoughts. Ed.

It's not a question of "better" pictures, I totaly agree with you in that, but for some sort of jobs that I'm doing I feel the need of bigger and more detailed files, and I think I pushed my D7000 to the limite. I think a full frame sensor could be the answer. The photography itself will stay the same of course, because it's me who tell the camera what to shoot and how. But the high quality data coming from it will improve my work for sure.

Thanks!

Daniel
but for some sort of jobs that I'm doing

What specifically ? Ta. Ed.
Just an observation - I note that when the majority talk about upgrading it is usually with a camera of the same make. Understandable of course if you have an investment in existing lens or other compatible accessories but does not necessarily mean it is the "right" choice. Unfortunately, we cannot second guess what the next generation might bring.

Unless you are a professional and use the camera as a means of earning a living, I am not sure that an upgrade to Full Frame will necessarily produce better results. The reason for upgrading must be a personal choice but of course if you are a techno junkie like me then the purchase of any new equipment will make you feel good and that might be justification ( if needed ) in itself.

I my case I have to justify it to "other half" and that is the hardest part. Smile

Vic

It seems to me that the point here is about photo quality.

The advantages of moving from APS-C to Full-Frame are not only improved sharpness (due to less enlargement required for a particular picture size), but also include reduced noise (giving improved low-light performance), and shorter depth of field of lenses (giving greater control of background blur and subject separation). These advantages should help to give better quality photos in some scenarios.

Whether those higher quality photos are any good depends on the vision, creativity and skills of the photographer.

However, I would suggest that one should always aim high in regard to both aspects - obtain the best gear that one can afford, and keep learning and practising to develop ones artistry.

Cheers.
Philip
All you say is absolutely right Philip. However, my underlying point was that once a particular make has been chosen as a first camera then loyalty to that brand seems strong when considering an upgrade.

Regards Vic

Not disagreeing with you at all there, Vic - my comments (Post #12) were a response to earlier posts. Smile

Cheers.
Philip
(Nov 17, 2014, 02:06)EdMak Wrote: [ -> ]but for some sort of jobs that I'm doing

What specifically ? Ta. Ed.

One of them is shooting sport events, where I need a lot of focus and a good ISO range with no grain or noise. and it's the one that pays better Big Grin
As I said earlier the main reason I'm now thinking about this is because I can afford one. So why not? they are better cameras after all Big Grin
And I'm sure it will help me in my never ending journey to became a better photographer.
And you are right Vic I'm only considering Nikon because I had a great relationship with this brand and I don't feel the need to change. I'm sure there are great cameras from other brands but I don't see the point if I'm comfortable with this one.
I think everyone who commented had the same thinking about going full frame and gear upgrading in general. It's not a must! but it's welcome if you understand it's you who can first off all improve your photography by shooting more and more! upgrading your skills always better (and cheaper) than upgrading your gear.

Thanks

Daniel