DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: What are you reading?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I love reading books, though since starting Shuttertalk, I must admit that it has taken a back seat as a hobby. Well yesterday I went to a book / Cd sale and picked up some books at bargain prices...

I love reading non-fiction millitary books in particular, as well as photograhy books and sci fi /fantasy novels. Last night I started on a particular book - "Unscathed" by Major Phil Ashby, about his involvement as a UN observer in the Sierra Lione civil war, which turned out into a brutal mass hostage taking rampage by the rebels. His escape attempt was so breathtaking that I finished the book, cover to cover, today! I can't say that I've ever read a lengthy book in under 24 hours before... Big Grin

Really glad that these holidays have allowed me to pursue other hobbies as well. Anyway, are you reading anything at the moment? What genre tickles your fancy? Care to share?
I don't read many books, apart from uni books and the bible Smile
"NBX Administrator's Guide, Release 4.3, Part Number:900-0156-01"

:ugh:
I read a LOT..... when I moved to the US I had to let me library go... over 4300 books.

In the 4 years I've been here I've been much busier... only upto around 200 so far. I mainly read science fiction, science fantasy, biographies and the occasional instructional book.

Currently reading Masterclass in photography by Michael & Julien Busselle.
Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.

A 800 page romp set both in the present day and during WWII in the Phillipines and at Bletchley Park in England (where the Enigma cyphers were broken).

It is a huge book but a surprisingly easy and engaging read - of particular interest for those with an interest in code / code breaking. It has nothing to do with "crypts" or other supernatural monster rubbish.
Today in the morning, I was just thinking of asking you all if you have read something from Susan Sontang... I have read her bio and it is really impressive... She has a book about photography and media I believe, the title is "On Photography", I don't remember well.. Have you read something written by this Lady?

At the moment I have to say I am not reading much... I just finished my site and I got engaged with more readings about this topic. However, there is a book waiting for me... Deception Point by Dan Brown... I'm not quite sure whether I like it or not.... I will give it a try anyway...
The paper. Big Grin
The Search for A Nonviolent Future by Michael N. Nagler

DONE (after an ill-advised marathon last night!)
I am currently reading this
Haha, nice trick dewy.. don't make me eat your brain!
I eat more brains than you will ever dream!
Dewy:Shuttertalk
30:6
Now to get back on topic, I am current;ly not reading but if any one wants to buy me either of these:
The Art of Deception: Controlling the Human Element of Security
The Art of Intrusion : The Real Stories Behind the Exploits of Hackers, Intruders, and Deceivers
Takedown: The Pursuit and Capture of Kevin Mitnick, America's Most Wanted Computer Outlaw-By the Man Who Did It
The Cyberthief and the Samurai: The True Story of Kevin Mitnick-And the Man Who Hunted Him Down
Well, I promise you that you will never see pic of me in the nud (me hopes this is enought to make EVERYONE buy me a book) and I will also read book for the first time in my life, well my recent life.
I've got an electronic version of "Art of Deception" somewhere.... maybe on my other computer...
I'm reading (and working my way thru) Photoshop Masking & Compositing by Katrin Eismann. I am trying to get a much better understanding of masks in Photoshop and in Corel Painter IX, so I can predict the outcome of using them. The book has a lot of neat tips. Just won a bid on a Scott Kelby book on eBay on Photoshop CS shortcuts.
Just finished reading Da Vinci Code. Now i'm onto Learn how to Play the guitar for Dummies. Big Grin
Claire Wrote:I'm reading (and working my way thru) Photoshop Masking & Compositing by Katrin Eismann. I am trying to get a much better understanding of masks in Photoshop and in Corel Painter IX, so I can predict the outcome of using them. The book has a lot of neat tips. Just won a bid on a Scott Kelby book on eBay on Photoshop CS shortcuts.

Cool! Do share some tips you have some! Big Grin
Has anyone here Read Gorege orwel's 1984? I have been told it is a descent book and I am going to the library soon to see if they have it, just wondering if you have read it what do you think of it... Big Grin
We read 1984 in english class - can't remember much about it though... guess I should have paid more attention! Big Grin
Currently reading

Journeys Out of the Body by Robert Monroe

From the publisher:

Quote:With more than 300,000 copies sold to date, this is the definitive work on the extraordinary phenomenon of out-of-body experiences, by the founder of the internationally known Monroe Institute.

Just started it so I cant say anything else about it! Smile