DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: How to get extra reach
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi folks

Plantsman's recent photo shot of a kingfisher with it s catch is a cracker - or would be but for the fact that his 300mm lens (with I think a cropped sensor giving x 1.5 or so).

I am frequently frustrated by lack of reach but don't know what to do about it. My 80-400mm (with full frame Nikon) needs beefing up but my Nikon 1.4x extender adds nothing - what you gain in reach you lose in clarity and speed and you need extra light. Our local dealer says get closer. I do follow the adage: go slower, wait longer, come closer: but you would get awfully wet if you tried that while taking grebes, kingfishers and so forth from your favourite hide!

Has anyone tried the Tamron or Sigma 150-600mm lens or similar and found it successful or do I need to start some serious saving up?

Regards all, Jeff

(Apr 27, 2015, 04:14)Freeman Wrote: [ -> ]Hi folks

Plantsman's recent photo shot of a kingfisher with it s catch is a cracker - or would be but for the fact that his 300mm lens (with I think a cropped sensor giving x 1.5 or so).

I am frequently frustrated by lack of reach but don't know what to do about it. My 80-400mm (with full frame Nikon) needs beefing up but my Nikon 1.4x extender adds nothing - what you gain in reach you lose in clarity and speed and you need extra light. Our local dealer says get closer. I do follow the adage: go slower, wait longer, come closer: but you would get awfully wet if you tried that while taking grebes, kingfishers and so forth from your favourite hide!

Has anyone tried the Tamron or Sigma 150-600mm lens or similar and found it successful or do I need to start some serious saving up?

Regards all, Jeff

I'm sure this is a dilemma for many wildlife photographers and certainly was for me until I settled for what I had and concentrated on making the most of my Nikkor 70-300. Had I been willing to spent a large amount of money I would certainly have opted for the 300mm f/2.8 prime plus a 1.4 or 2.0 X extender. The Sigma and Tamron would be worth a try but I think 'try' is the operative word and my suggestion is to hire or alternatively take a few shots at the source of purchase if possible and view on your computer before deciding.
I've had the Sigma 50-500 "Bigma" for10 years, Love it. It's sharp, decently fast focusing (no issues tracking birds in flight or racing horses) and now it's attached to a 7DII that speed is improved even more. Low light is a bit of an issue as it isn't the widest lens and it is heavy.

After 10 years of service I had to get the AF fixed this year. Looking at sample images the 150-600 is even sharper, of course, it is heavier too.
Thanks for the responses Peter and Craig - fascinating to read your experience with this issue. I do sometimes think along the lines Peter suggests of simply taking the pictures that are within range. Good plan, though the fact that the proportion of my shots taken at full zoom (and often then cropped) seems to suggest something. A cropped sensor camera in itself would help. Must give some more thought to the Sigma (which is quick solution relatively speaking and gives the same reach as a 400mm lens on a cropped sensor camera), the possibility of hiring, and the possibility of robbing the local bank to get the 400mm prime 2.8 with a big extender - result 800mm at f5.6 - which is what Peter mentioned and also my local dealer's best option. He also mentioned the Nikon 750 and the 810 both of which would help wither by improved sensor or more pixels for harder cropping. All the best and thanks again. Jeff