DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: background
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Wondering how you achieve a black background behind subject i.e. flowers
There are two main ways I use, use a collapsible black background to physically have one, or use flash and camera settings to eliminate anything lit by natural light. The 2nd method id not easy to do if you are in very bright sunlight.
Hello...

You can achieve black backgrounds even if all you have is a white one... Have a look at this link and you can see the principles for achieving that background... I think that is what Craig was trying to tell you in the part where he wrote of the difficulty outside with a lot of omnidirectional light present and using camera settings and a light source. Take the flower indoors and either use a matt black light absorbing backdrop... curve it at the bottom so there is no "join" to the surface your flower/model is on and make sure pulls and folds, fluff, hair etc are straightened/removed first... or, follow the principle of camera settings shown in the video link and experiment - it's not hard and a lot of fun with a great sense of achievement when you get what you envisaged...

Enjoy - http://mattgranger.com/live-photo-shoots...-portraits This will open on the appropriate screen so just scroll down and click on the video... Afterwards, look at the menu bar on the top and find the second in from the left "Categories"... drop down and click on "Live Photo Shoots" and scroll down the page to the videos and there are several others that may be of interest for you or others who read this forum.
Kind regards

Rolf
If the flower/s lend themselves to containing, then Photoshop, and other Progs, will allow you to have any colour background. Another tack. Ed.
Thanks for the help
[attachment=4656]
(May 24, 2015, 18:09)bernie bowers Wrote: [ -> ]Wondering how you achieve a black background behind subject i.e. flowers

I have got some good results using my flat screen TV as a background. If I use flash, there is usually some flashback off the screen but this can be used to good affect as it is a matt screen. I have got the best results with no flash when using the early morning sunlight from the window as a modeling light. See attached pic.