DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Samsung NX1000
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am new to the digital world having been faithful to my old Pentax SLR. With the Pentax I had a 200mm lens which was a dream. I now have a Samsung NX1000 which comes with a 50mm zoom lens. I haven't even received it yet, so I have no idea what the details are. I want that same 200mm advantage as I do a lot of wildlife photography. Looking on Ebay, I am totally confused, as to why most of it seems to involve 'converters' for my Samsung ? Why would I need a converter ? There are also macro/200mm zoom lenses which screw together and are unscrewed depending on usage. I don't want to make a mistake and buy something I can't use. How far is the zoom for my supplied 50mm lens. What should I be looking for to get the advantage that the lense on my Pentax SLR gave me. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
The zoom is 20-50mm on the Samsung, this would be like a 30-75mm on your old Pentax.

The longest lens available in the NX mount your new camera uses is currently 200mm, and will give the same image as a 300mm on the pentax.

The cheap screw-on modifiers and adapters you find on ebay typically result in very poor image quality.

If your main intention is wildlife photography and you have not yet bought the samsung I would seriously consider a different camera. One with longer lenses available and without the slow shutter speed of the samsung, the shutter doesn't fire for nearly half a second after pushing the button, I'm afraid you may find this very frustrating for wildlife photography.
Welcome Roz.

Do you still have your Pentax lenses? You would need an adapter (from Amazon or eBay) if you want to connect a Pentax lens to your Samsung NX camera. There are Pentax-M42 to NX, and Pentax-K to NX adapters on sale. The adapter is needed because the connection (screw or bayonet) is different from the Samsung bayonet.

To be able to use a Pentax lens, the Samsung must be in a manual mode - auto focus and auto exposure would not be functional - which leads you to a more thoughtful shooting style. Also, these adapters do not contain any extra lenses, so the great qualities of the attached Pentax lens are preserved.

I have a Sony NEX digital camera body but no Sony lenses. But I have attached a Pentax-K to Sony NEX adapter to it, so I can use it with any of my Pentax lenses (including old SLR film camera lenses) in manual mode, and it works very well.

Cheers.
Philip
Thank you both for being so precise without using any jargon that would have baffled me. Really, what I need to do is hope I can come across a Samsung lens that belongs to my camera but can afford. I'm delighted I can buy an adapter and use my Pentax lens. I feel a lot more relaxed about my purchase.
You may find the lack of an conventional viewfinder, a bit inconvenient at first. Ed.
(Jun 8, 2015, 14:00)EdMak Wrote: [ -> ]You may find the lack of an conventional viewfinder, a bit inconvenient at first. Ed.

More than you think !! I didn't know it didn't have a viewfinder !!
Blush
Have you any possibility to rethink this. If you have Pentax lenses, perhaps a Pentax camera would be a better proposition? Cheers. Ed.
Digital Pentax did not come out brilliantly in the reviews which is why I chose the Samsung. The Samsung arrived today and I think we are going to get on fine. Just have to save up for the 200mm lens. Meanwhile a lens adapter is definately an option.
Look forward to some pics. Ed.