DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: help with purchasing photo soft ware
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am going to purchase photo processing soft ware the only soft ware I have used is what has come with the camera. could some one guide me to the best soft ware to get to process my photos? I looked in best buy to day and it seems that the high end ones is a 12 month subscription to the cloud any help would be greatly appreciated.
Photoshop is definitive, but there are others. Have you trialed any, including P/S, and, have you a budget. Ed.
Photoshop elements will do what 95% of photographers need. (cheaper and good)
Photoshop CC if you want that without the subscription you can still get Photoshop CS6 stand alone (I use this).
A Lot can be done in Just lightroom, though I would still want Photoshop for heavy editing.
ACDSee - Lightroom alternative (my choice)

There are free options too:
Gimp, that will do 90+% of what you can do in photoshop.
IrfanView - free "lightroom" type program.
Hi, have you considered renting the software? I get photoshop and lightroom for 9.99 (incl VAT) GBP per month as part of the Creative cloud Photography bundle, it spreads the cost, you can install it on 2 PC's is always the very latest version of each and is quite reasonable (for what you get). Seems to be a universal price (i.e. $9.99 in the US etc)

The only downside I've seen to date is when you have old plugins that don't work with latest and the plug-in maker wants you to pay more for updates, but most do the updates for free.

I find I use Lightroom 90% of the time and Photoshop the other 10% but when you need it it's a great tool to have.

https://creative.adobe.com/plans?store_c...moid=KSPAL

Regards

ChrisC.
(Oct 20, 2015, 20:29)jjford43 Wrote: [ -> ]I am going to purchase photo processing soft ware the only soft ware I have used is what has come with the camera. could some one guide me to the best soft ware to get to process my photos? I looked in best buy to day and it seems that the high end ones is a 12 month subscription to the cloud any help would be greatly appreciated.
Use GIMP it very good and free.
Consider GIMP it is very good and FREE.
(Oct 21, 2015, 09:14)EnglishBob Wrote: [ -> ]Photoshop elements will do what 95% of photographers need. (cheaper and good)
Photoshop CC if you want that without the subscription you can still get Photoshop CS6 stand alone (I use this).
A Lot can be done in Just lightroom, though I would still want Photoshop for heavy editing.
ACDSee - Lightroom alternative (my choice)

There are free options too:
Gimp, that will do 90+% of what you can do in photoshop.
IrfanView - free "lightroom" type program.

thanks for the info
(Oct 21, 2015, 12:33)ruthbaillie Wrote: [ -> ]
(Oct 20, 2015, 20:29)jjford43 Wrote: [ -> ]I am going to purchase photo processing soft ware the only soft ware I have used is what has come with the camera. could some one guide me to the best soft ware to get to process my photos? I looked in best buy to day and it seems that the high end ones is a 12 month subscription to the cloud any help would be greatly appreciated.
Use GIMP it very good and free.

I will try that thanks for the info
(Oct 21, 2015, 09:19)Pilgrim1 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, have you considered renting the software? I get photoshop and lightroom for 9.99 (incl VAT) GBP per month as part of the Creative cloud Photography bundle, it spreads the cost, you can install it on 2 PC's is always the very latest version of each and is quite reasonable (for what you get). Seems to be a universal price (i.e. $9.99 in the US etc)

The only downside I've seen to date is when you have old plugins that don't work with latest and the plug-in maker wants you to pay more for updates, but most do the updates for free.

I find I use Lightroom 90% of the time and Photoshop the other 10% but when you need it it's a great tool to have.

https://creative.adobe.com/plans?store_c...moid=KSPAL

Regards

thanks for the info I book marked the link that you provided

ChrisC.

I am learning to use GIMP 2.8. It is very similar to Photoshop but with a slightly clunky interface. The main up side is it is free. I bought an excellent book, which talks you through it, with plenty tutorials and a disk with all the software and images you need to learn. GIMP 2.8 for Photographers: Image Editing with Open Source Software
[attachment=5087]
(Nov 15, 2015, 12:11)Jocko Wrote: [ -> ]I am learning to use GIMP 2.8. It is very similar to Photoshop but with a slightly clunky interface. The main up side is it is free. I bought an excellent book, which talks you through it, with plenty tutorials and a disk with all the software and images you need to learn. GIMP 2.8 for Photographers: Image Editing with Open Source Software

thanks for the info