DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: What is your worst mistake / fail ? (and how can others avoid the same
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So the last 10 years in the field I've been in some sticky situations and have seen or heard of colleagues with other nerve wrecking stories. 
My question to you guys; whats was your worst moment in photography? (And what can we learn from it to not make the same mistake?)
Don't feel ashamed; Sooner or later even the best professionals slip in a stupid mistake which could've (and should've ) been dodged.

I once had a shoot for a huge partycentre where there was one room with a wedding going on. A weddingphotographer came rushing up to me  and asked if I was shooting Canon (Im really sorry pal, Im on Nikon....) he was in the middle of the wedding and ran out of battery! Needless to say that's a nightmare but an easy one to avoid, however I've been in similar situations with running out of batteries for my strobist flashes. 

My worst one was of arrogance I think/ or atleast still believing I was young and could handle Tongue
2 years ago I was asked to photograph as one of the official photographers for a huge Dutch Festival (team of 4 photographers).
4 days running around the festivals with a list of acts and bands. I decided to sleep in my tent at the area where all the other employees were staying (and I soon found out why the other 4 photographers were staying out of the festival once they were done for the day.). 
Already after the first night there was rain and I got all my clothes and stuff wet, drunken employees (without a lot of responsibilities for those days) all around (one puked over my tent). I was sleepdepraved, cranky on a festival full of drunk partypeople, my feet were blistered while i had to run around atleast 20kms a day and had a tight schedule of one crazy act to another.
Lets just say I didnt deliver the best work of my life. While in the meantime this could've been the chance of my life.
Lesson arrogant me needed to learn; make sure you get a nice safe dry silent spot with a warm bed and a shower if you can after 14hour days.
Youre not 20 anymore. 

As Im typing this there are already more memories popping into my head, but I first want to here yours!