DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Street photography
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there!
Few days ago i was inspired by a renowned photographer : John Free.Fohn Free's work is amazing,not by nowadays technical standards maybe, but by the way he captures emotion an by his philosophy on photographing people.He's organic,friendly and manages to captures the essence.
I was inspired by his philosophy,that as photographer you must destroy you brain's barriers and push yourself to get amazing captures, push yourself more and more in feeling unconfortable when people look at you with suspicion when you point the camera towards them.You must find a way breaking that wall, engage in conversation and win trust
I must admit i felt very unconfortable but it felt very rewarding because i only could get that kind of pictures only by overcoming that feeling of awkwardness.
Here i attach a few pictures from my experience on the street!
How do you guys feel about photographing people on the street?
Street photography is an area I admire, but just do not feel comfortable doing myself. Great series of images, especially love the first one.
Robert, You can see some of my Street work here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsksdddMf
Your work is awesome Graham! You have such wide variety of subjects and street events, i would like to be able to read a description, maybe if you can group them in series,it would gain tremendous impact.
You should group them in a book,it would be a waste of art if you leave them all mixed on flickr
best regards
Robert
(May 23, 2017, 03:19)RobertMurariu Wrote: [ -> ]Your work is awesome Graham! You have such wide variety of subjects and street events, i would like to be able to read a description, maybe if you can group them in series,it would gain tremendous impact.
You should group them in a book,it would be a waste of art if you leave them all mixed on flickr
best regards
Robert

Robert, thanks for the kind words. My Street work is grouped together in one album on Flikr - there cannot be a series or timeline because the images were captured over many years in various places. If you don't go to my Street album (which is the link that I posted above) but to my photostream, then they will appear to be all mixed up with other genres.
(May 21, 2017, 10:41)RobertMurariu Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there!
Few days ago i was inspired by a renowned photographer : John Free.Fohn Free's work is amazing,not by nowadays technical standards maybe, but by the way he captures emotion an by his philosophy on photographing people.He's organic,friendly and manages to captures the essence.
I was inspired by his philosophy,that as photographer you must destroy you brain's barriers and push yourself to get amazing captures, push yourself more and more in feeling unconfortable when people look at you with suspicion when you point the camera towards them.You must find a way breaking that wall, engage in conversation and win trust
I must admit i felt very unconfortable but it felt very rewarding because i only could get that kind of pictures only by overcoming that feeling of awkwardness.

I generally use my Olympus Tough TG870 24mp waterproof compact camera with built in WiFi and GPS, rather than a DSLR because, I read people may not feel that they are being photographed with a compact but to take an image with a DSLR requires the lens to be more generally pointed in their direction. I also tend to appear to be aiming with my body language to the side of a person or people and avoid direct eye contact, because of course with cameras in phones as well as compacts, street photos are almost, in my opinion taken for granted as a way of life. I hope this is of help.
(Jul 3, 2017, 09:18)Joe Beard Wrote: [ -> ]I generally use my Olympus Tough TG870 24mp waterproof compact camera with built in WiFi and GPS, rather than a DSLR because, I read people may not feel that they are being photographed with a compact but to take an image with a DSLR requires the lens to be more generally pointed in their direction. I also tend to appear to be aiming with my body language to the side of a person or people and avoid direct eye contact, because of course with cameras in phones as well as compacts, street photos are almost, in my opinion taken for granted as a way of life. I hope this is of help.

Hello Joe,

Welcome to the photography forums! Nice to have you here with us!
(Jul 3, 2017, 18:04)Barbara G. Wrote: [ -> ]
(Jul 3, 2017, 09:18)Joe Beard Wrote: [ -> ]I generally use my Olympus Tough TG870 24mp waterproof compact camera with built in WiFi and GPS, rather than a DSLR because, I read people may not feel that they are being photographed with a compact but to take an image with a DSLR requires the lens to be more generally pointed in their direction. I also tend to appear to be aiming with my body language to the side of a person or people and avoid direct eye contact, because of course with cameras in phones as well as compacts, street photos are almost, in my opinion taken for granted as a way of life. I hope this is of help.

Hello Joe,

Welcome to the photography forums! Nice to have you here with us!
(Jul 3, 2017, 09:18)Joe Beard Wrote: [ -> ]
(May 21, 2017, 10:41)RobertMurariu Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there!

I generally use my Olympus Tough TG870 24mp waterproof compact camera with built in WiFi and GPS, rather than a DSLR because, I read people may not feel that they are being photographed with a compact but to take an image with a DSLR requires the lens to be more generally pointed in their direction. I also tend to appear to be aiming with my body language to the side of a person or people and avoid direct eye contact, because of course with cameras in phones as well as compacts, street photos are almost, in my opinion taken for granted as a way of life. I hope this is of help.

Joe,

Thanks for the post. When I shoot street photography I try to be as sly as possible but I feel I have to rush in some instances so that the person I photograph doesn't notice. Your suggestion about using a compact is a great idea about being less noticed. One technique I use with my DSLR is I hold the camera body to my chest with the lens pointing forward on automatic focus and I take my photos that way since it looks like I'm just holding my camera. 

Chris
I have been actively engaged in street photography for 40 years. I am never surreptitious. I never hide the camera. If the subject is engaged in some "private" activity, I catch their attention, point to the camera and give a thumbs up sign as a request for permission to take their photograph. Otherwise all is fair game. I don't believe in being sneaky.
I love the first photo! Gorgeous colors and foreshortening!

http://fixthephoto.com/blog/business/par...phers.html
One time when I just had an automatic point-and-shoot Olympus Stylus camera with me, I was on a bus in what was probably not one of the safest parts of the city, and I saw some people outside the window pushing their car. In my rush to sneak a picture, I forgot to push the button to turn off the flash (by default the flash is turned on every time you open up the camera), and indeed the flash went off, not only ruining my shot but getting the attention of everyone on the bus, they were all confused and asking each other what happened, did lightning strike, did someone take a picture, etc. I was able to quickly hide the camera and nobody confronted me about it, but I was really embarrassed and scared for the rest of the bus ride. These days I only use cameras that either don't have a built-in flash or allow the flash to be permanently shut off so that won't happen again.