DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Music Theory Lessons for Guitar
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Found this site with guitar theory lessons and music theory articles! Sweet!
http://www.ibreathemusic.com/
Looks cool. You might also like http://www.guitarnoise.com
cool maybe now i'll be able to understand the theory behind Henry Seeley's 'cheat chords' Big Grin

otherwise i'll just have to go to the Planetshakers 'school of music'
Cheat chords eh?? WinkWink
Did you go planetshakers? Smile

hahah, 'school of music' to learn some cheat chords Wink
yeh i went to the 2005 conference.

well i don't understand how if you push the G string at the 7th fret it is a D chord and by watching the DVD and looking at chords they play and then looking at the sheet music it's supposed to be a D chord????
Maybe an inaccurate transcription or some magical tuning Smile
dave Wrote:well i don't understand how if you push the G string at the 7th fret it is a D chord

What do you mean "push the G string" ?

G string at 7th fret is D, so if you form a chord with that as your root it's D, no? Well really if you played

e 10 (D)
B 10 (A)
G 7 (D)
D x
A x
E x

it's not a true D because you'd have D-A-D, only two notes. What is it? D5 since A is the 5th of D. You could also play open D string like:

e 10 (D)
B 10 (A)
G 7 (D)
D 0 (D)
A x
E x

and have D-D-A-D, still only two notes and still D5.

But if you played

e 10 (D)
B 10 (A)
G 7 (D)
D 7 (A)
A x
E x

you could still call it D5 - or - if you use the A as the root, A4 because D is the 4th of A., and inverted 5ths are 4ths.

Is that what you are talking about? Or did I totally misunderstand you? Big Grin
slejhamer Wrote:But if you played

e 10 (D)
B 10 (A)
G 7 (D)
D 7 (A)
A x
E x

you could still call it D5 - or - if you use the A as the root, A4 because D is the 4th of A., and inverted 5ths are 4ths.

And following the same logic, A5 would be:

e x
B 10 (A)
G 9 (E)
D 7 (A)
A x
E x

Just A, the 5th of A which is E, and then A in a higher octave.

Power chords! Rockin'!
Cool
dave Wrote:yeh i went to the 2005 conference.

well i don't understand how if you push the G string at the 7th fret it is a D chord and by watching the DVD and looking at chords they play and then looking at the sheet music it's supposed to be a D chord????

Spirit fingers??? :o

Often they play their power chords using only the root note, re-inforced by the same note but one octave higher.

Using a D-chord as an example:

e x
b x
g 7
d x
a 5
e x

They look like they're strumming all strings, and in fact they are, BUT, they're really only playing the 5th fret on the A-string and the 7th fret on the G-string, and MUTING all the other strings.

This gives you that full doubled-note that you hear sometimes. With generous amounts of distortion, it can sound like a power chord.
hrm..........i see

looks like i got some reading up to do!!!!
de_axeman Wrote:Using a D-chord as an example:

e x
b x
g 7
d x
a 5
e x

This gives you that full doubled-note that you hear sometimes. With generous amounts of distortion, it can sound like a power chord.

Yes, but that's not a chord; as you correctly said it's just a doubled note.

But why not make it easier and play:

e x
B x
G 7 (D)
D 0 (D)
A 5 (D)
E x

Or more simply:

e x
B x
G 7 (D)
D 0 (D)
A x
E x

I hate muting strings in the middle...

Big Grin
Hmmm... never occured to me to un-mute the open D... :/

Hehehe - guess I'l have something else to play around with tonight! Big Grin

I'll get back to you on this one slej....