DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Well, I just purchased....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
the Gretag Macbeth Eye One Display 2 calibration kit. I am embarrased to say that I haven't properly calibrated my monitor and hve been lucky to get consistent results so far.

Anyone else use this software and tool for calibration? If not, what do you use?

Jerry
Cool! Any more details? How do you find it? DId you look at other products? What made you choose that one?
I did a fair bit of reading and next to the Monaco Optix Pro (350.00 USD) the Gretag Macbeth is rated exceptionally the very best. It ranges in price from 200-240 USD. They say the Pantone Spyder I is terrible, but the Spyder II is a vastly improved product.

I'll get you an independent website link.

J
I haven't used anything yet. I've calibrated using Adobe Gamma but not using a spyder or anything. I've been fairly lucky.
Any one in Perth have a calibrator i can borrow ? ^__^
I ended up with the Spyder II and I'm quite happy with it, around 90% of my prints come up better than I expect which is a relief.
can i borrow your spyder ?
how much do they cost round perth ?
A local photo lab in my area loans out a Gretag McBeth Eye One calibrrator. I borrowed it for a day, and made about 8 to 10 calibrations following all the instructions in the booklet, and one or two turned out really good. I bought a new ViewSonic monitor before calibrating and it seemd to be really dark, and didn't match what I printed, which really bugged me as I couldn't tell what I was doing. Now I have good prints most of the time on my Epson 2200 using ICC profiles for the papers.
Excellent! How much did they charge?
I have felt that my monitor is too "light" for some time - when I print - the photos always are darker than I imagine and other monitors also show darker images.

I don't think I can calibrate it though. I use a LCD monitor with a DIgital Video Interface (DVI) and in that mode, the control such as contrast etc are disabled. I would really like to calibrate this monitor though. Any engineer types out there with any insight?
Sorry, Shuttertalk, that I am just now getting back to this forum. The Shutterbug Photo Lab didn't charge anything! They had mailed it to someone in Phoenix, AZ, and then they were going to mail it to someone in Hilton Head, SC. I just happened to catch them on a day when they got it back from AZ and hadn't mailed it to Hilton Head and they let me have it for 24 hours. It sure made a difference for me. My monitor looked really dark on all my photos on the ViewSonic, and I have a friend who has a ViewSonic monitor whose images look really dark, compared to what comes out on the printer. After I adjusted mine using the EyeOne, my monitor camre more close to matching the printer. The instruction book that was with it said that the monitor can change over time, so it helps to calibrate it periodically.
Wow, that's very nice of them... Big Grin