DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Macs vs PCs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just from anecdotal experiences I noticed that a few photographers and graphic artists prefer to use Macs for their work... Apart from the aesthetics, does anyone know of any benefits of using Apple?
Hi

well in the industry for some time and work with the two i can say the first thing is realavility, durability.

Just to mention we used to have the first mac that came in the market, the box with all in it. not sure the name of it, but it just have the box and the stiffies in one box with the screen i think it was smaller than a 12 inch. anyway after we upgraded to the new G4 and G5 we decided to keep those ones for typing and games. after i left my employer they told me that still working!!! i think there are more than 20 years old.

Regards

Christian
I like MACs generally, but I get very annoyed by the very limited amount of commercial software that is available for them compared to PC - and the comparative cost of that software. And just forget about freeware, shareware, or free apps from the net.

Macs are also pathetic when it comes to video games - the software is WAY more expensive - if you can get it at all. The Windows emulators work fine for most applications, but don't seem to work at all if a game controls DirectX directly.

If you don't play games, fair enough, but it is a reason for not buying a MAC if you do.

They are cool looking boxes, and arguably a better operating system (I have heard counter arguments) - they are also somewhat more intutive to use. But I can't see going that way anytime soon.
I have never used a mac and I'm strictly loyal to PC. They say that any graphic advantages the Mac previously had have been met now by the PC.

As far as rumor goes, they say the Mac is a lot more stable, fewer crashes and errors. The code is spposedly written better.

--Don
In the late 80's and early 90's Desk top publishing was almost exclusively a MAC task, they could multitask effectively, Windows 3.1 couldn't... supported higher resolutions and were just faster.

I have friends that are publishers and they only made the jump to PC's 3 years ago as MAC's had only just been caught for speed in image manipulation.
Horses for courses.

Mac has less than 10% of the computer market, and their strategy has NEVER been to capture more share. Those who want a Mac will get one regardless (well, almost) of the higher asking price because they like the stability of OSX, it does multimedia better, etc etc etc. ie. they've already made up their mind about the Mac vs PC choice.

Those looking for a gaming platform will never choose a Mac for the reasons that Toad outlined.

One benefit of being such a small part of the market is that hardly anyone writes viruses that target Macs.

I myself was considering getting a Mac for my music applications, but at this stage, I don't think my needs (and budget) justify getting one. My PC setup works perfectly.