DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Slippery Lenses
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In the last week I've had two lenses bite the dust (partially) my Canon 50m 1.4 slips when it gets to the close focal range and then the motor won't drive it back out to the rest of the range and my Sigma 24-70 is slipping then locking at close focal range.

I'm beginning to wonder if shooting in low light is causing the lens to hunt too much and cause premature wear and tear. I won't know until they come back from being repaired though.
Argh, bad news, J!

How long have you had them for?
Do you use the full-time manual focus frequently (you know, when you're in AF but you goose the focus ring a bit)? I've heard this can cause some wear-and-tear in the motors of some lenses, even USM.
I use it a bit, but certainly not often, I can usually pick an area of contrast that allows me to focus but they both do get quite a bit of use, maybe 10,000 frames each in the last 8 months that I've had them. Still, shouldn't be happening.
hi

uuhmmmm sigma?

let us know whats the problem.

Thanks

Christian
slejhamer Wrote:Do you use the full-time manual focus frequently (you know, when you're in AF but you goose the focus ring a bit)? I've heard this can cause some wear-and-tear in the motors of some lenses, even USM.

When my 50mm is in auto the focus ring moves freely. Good point though. Makes sense.
StudioJ Wrote:I use it a bit, but certainly not often, I can usually pick an area of contrast that allows me to focus but they both do get quite a bit of use, maybe 10,000 frames each in the last 8 months that I've had them. Still, shouldn't be happening.

You're right... you would expect lenses to stand up to that sort of usage...Sad

They don't make em like they used to...