DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Digital Lenses - making a backflip?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Digital lenses with smaller image circles are only compatible with smaller sized digital sensors. This means that they're not usable with traditional film cameras - that much we know.

I'm interested to find out though whether anyone has (or know anyone who has) done a backflip after going digital?
I did the backflip - now I use both film and digital - for the previous 3 years I was only digital. Now I am about 75% film - I use film for ALL my "pro" work (work done for other people - not necessarily for money).

Film still has better quality and if you want to sell photos to magazines or stock houses - you need to consider pro slide films like Velvia and Provia. To get the resolution of a good slide you need about a 14 MB base image. Exposure latitude is also much better with film.

Back to the original question - because I use both film and digital, I would not buy a digital only lens - except for an extreme wide angle. On a D70 for example - a 12mm lens is equivalent to 18mm on 35mm. I don't need a 12mm lens for my film camera - so I "might" consider a digital only lens for the super wide angle niche. My widest current film lens is 24mm - a sweet angle for film - but totally unacceptable as a wide-angle solution for digital (36mm).
I'm actually seriously considering buying my first film SLR after getting much more interested in photograohy since I got the rebel. I want to enter slide competitions and film is the only sensible way to get slides made.

Digital to slide conversion is way to expensive.