DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Grey lenses
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone purchased grey lenses before? Any drawbacks apart from the lack of warranty? i.e. poorer build quality, differences in specs, etc?
Haven't actually purchased one yet, but I have had both in my hands and they looked identical in all aspects other than badging.

Thinking they are the same product. Certainly for Canon.
I don't know anything about those lenses sorry... but ... !!What a nice avatar Bob!! Smile
I want to buy a white lens Smile
They should be exactly the same ... until you try to have the gray one serviced locally.

In the US we have a store (B&H) that will service gray lenses themselves. I would have no problem buying one from them. But when I've bought lenses with a gray alternatives, the US copies have had rebate offerings that brought the price in line with the gray, so I went for the local copies.
If the difference is a lot, I'd buy grey;
If small, I'd buy not grey.

I've only bought the 50mm f/1.8 grey, online; had that problem when it arrived - a speck in the lens, but I doubt that has anything to do with it being grey. And when I bought it, the difference wasn't much anyway, just to save a bit; Looking back now, where $160 was a lot for a lens, I see that my views have greatly changed since then! haha