DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Website - Critique requested.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I joined the local Camera Club last December and almost immediately I took over publishing the monthly newsletter... now I am taking over the website and have started re-writing it and adding gallery, forums, newsletter library to it.

I don't want to offend the last webmaster so i am keeping the design the same to begin with, not changing it up too much..

That said, I would like some comments on what I have so far. I am in the progress of re-writing the forums and galley to use the same login, cookies and database.

Be gentle.

http://www.fcc.calisnaps.com/
Looks great!

If you need any help, Craig, let me know.

Cheers,
Julian
Hi

Very nice and straight, like the colours and how easy is to get everywhere.

uuhmm the fonts for the menus....too big or maybe other font

Take care

Christian
Most of the fonts are too big..... but most of the members are in their 60's, 70's and 80's! Need to be a little larger for them to read. I may need to increase the font in the forums.
oohhhh

thast explain it,

do you work in dreaweaver? or front page?

thanks
I like it. I like the colour but the white font on the grey bg may be a little tough on the eyes. Black fond is great.
I use Frontpage for hashing out pages, I do most of my editing in CuteHTML.
I like the page, but I found typos:

"The Fresno Camera Club Provides and educational and social forum " would be more conforming with English grammar if it read "The Fresno Camera Club provides an educational and social forum ". Smile
Ty Smile
To edit my pages I use visual basic, it is genial. I write the HTML and CSS and I find it a very nice program to work with.

Here you have my suggestions.

Home page:
Navigation menu:
It has very good font size, and the best is that you can resize in IE, it is great! I would suggest to make the font weight lighter and probably letter-spacing to add space between characters. It gives a very stylish view.
I think the navigation should show all the links available and work with the colors of the links visited. Perhaps you could give a color to the background of the page you are visiting at the moment, to know where you are in the menu, and where you have been.

Link page:
I found in the link page, that you have more than two different font-style there, I think if you uniform the site just with one font would be better.

Event page:
You have space between paragraphs but not between sections... the "Competition" header is not leveled with the others.

Gallery page:
I love this program to work with galleries. I have it myself in my gallery and it is very easy to handle... very good choice Bob. Here I found something irregular. The menu is at the top of the page, when it is always at the bottom. Is there any special reason to place it there? If so, I would then suggest, to make it a bit more visible. Maybe giving it a bit margin and give the same format you have given in the other pages... so it doesn't break the style...

Messages page:
You have called this page "messages" in your navigation, but in the "gallery" page you call it "forums".
The gradient/color in the background of the title of the sections is a bit to strong. I would suggest to light the background or change the color of the font. ie. "Fresno Camera Club messages" and "General" difficult to read at first sight. I also suggest to place the log in section at the beginning.

Highlights page:
If it is planned to give information every month of the year I would suggest to write a table with all the months of the year and just give a link to the ones that have information at the moment. It is very nice to give the user the idea that the page will have news and it will be cared and updated. Also you don't need to change the style of your page every month but just link to the format you have already.

In general:

Would be good idea if you give to all your pages in the meta tag like "key words" and "description". Also to have de DOCTYPE in all of them.

Not all the pages are titled.

We have three different background colors, gray in most of the pages, blue in the gallery and black in the forums/messages. It would be nice to uniform the backgroud color in the whole site.

Bob, I love to write web pages, and I know very well how much represent to have a critique on your pages. It means to me, "improve" my page. I hope you find my suggestions/comments useful. I am not a studied person in this field, just someone who studied it and I am still studying it, in a autodidactic way.

My best wishes with this site. Smile

Irma.
Thank you very much Irma, just what I was looking for Smile
Thanks once again Irma, most of your comments have been acted upon Smile
EnglishBob Wrote:Most of the fonts are too big..... but most of the members are in their 60's, 70's and 80's! Need to be a little larger for them to read. I may need to increase the font in the forums.

I have a 21 inch monitor and the font size looked good to me. Thought the site displayed well, would like to see some photos there so I can see how they display within the page framework.