DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: I bought NN a new amp.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: AMP.jpg]
And a very nice amp it is, too!!! Smile
ooo wow Smile
nice nice nice
My sister has got the cube 15

I'll try get her dogs to pose next to it Tongue
Nice choice.

Once I made the decision to ditch the Line 6, I narrowed down the choices to the Vox AD30VT and the Roland Cube 30. They are the same price, and most people seem to agree that they offer the best values in this price range. I found them very similar in overall capabilities and sound.

I picked the Vox because it has one unique feature that I find very useful, but the Roland is an excellent alternative.
Smile Hi Slej,

The Vox is the other one I was considering....I take it the extra feature that swayed you is the tube emulation?

We decided on the Roland in the end because we'd heard it and hadn't had a chance to hear the Vox....plus, I was especialy keen on the very clean "clean" channel and the similarity to the sound of the Roland JC.

--NN
noisynoodle Wrote:I take it the extra feature that swayed you is the tube emulation?

Actually it's a power control knob that lets you vary the wattage from 1w to 30w, and get nice overdriven tube sound even at low volume. Sort of like a built-in attenuator. Helpful when the kids are sleeping. Smile

noisynoodle Wrote:I was especialy keen on the very clean "clean" channel and the similarity to the sound of the Roland JC.

Yes, as I recall the Roland Jazz Chorus model is quite nice. Honestly I am underwhelmed by the Vox's "boutique clean" model, and would prefer a JC emulation. Both amps have a comparable "black" (Fender Twin) model, and that's what I use for my clean channel. For your big Artcore jazzbox, the JC model should sound great. Cool
The very reason for my choice....the JC sound is perfect for the Artcore, and also the Fender Twin and Tweed emulations work well with it, but having the other amp models as well means the amp is just as useful when I play the Strat. I'm very impressed with it so far and I haven't really tried it out much yet.also like the built in effects....mostly pretty good.

--NN
Can I be your wife, Rufus? Big Grin

Nice.. is that the bass or guitar cube? They look pretty funky for the size...
shuttertalk Wrote:Can I be your wife, Rufus? Big Grin

Nice.. is that the bass or guitar cube? They look pretty funky for the size...

Of course I will take your wife!
There's no charge is there? How is her cooking???

The guitar version, not the bass version.

I, (he said, proudly), have a Carlsboro 150w combo.... ON WHEELS!!! Tongue
Rufus Wrote:I, (he said, proudly), have a Carlsboro 150w combo.... ON WHEELS!!! Tongue

Ah yes.... but does it come with room service? Tongue
Once again I can not make decisions!
At first I wanted the Peavey Classic 30 or 50, then I thought Classic 30 is going to be big enough,then now I'm looking at Vox AC30! haahaaa
If you're looking only at tube amps and want that classic sound, I'd actually pick the Peavy Classic over the Vox AC. If you can compare them side-by-side, see which one turns you on the most. I'd also suggest you look at the Vox AD60VT - it's a modeling amp, mostly solid state with a small tube, but if you are having trouble deciding on the amp you need, then a modeling amp will certainly give you choices! The AD60 is much bigger and has many more features than the AD30.
Thank you for the advice Big Grin

I shall do the side by side test! Smile
Hey adam - how much was the AC30 going for?

Some other amps to consider if you're looking at the 30W tube amp range:

Orange amps (15W or 30W combo) - Powderfinger tone, but the colour is not for everyone - you'll stand out like the dog's proverbials..

THD Univalve (nice 15W which allows you to easily swap tube like neck-ties). Unfortunately, it only comes as a head unit, so that makes it expensive..

The Fender Deluxe Reverb Re-issue is a beautiful 28 watter (for under $2K - a real steal!), which I would have bought if I had the cash, hahahaa....