DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Printing photos at home!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What are you using and how do you results compare with the better photoshops like Teds?

I bought a Canon Pixma Ip3000 yesterday and am pretty pleased with the results so far. Using the Canon paper that was supplied with the unit the prints are superb, with some Kodak paper I had they are still very good but with a very small amount of little banding in some colours if you look very very close. Printing on CD's (only tried one) seems pretty good also.
Looks like I put this in the wrong place, can someone move it to where it should be?

Thanks.

Pete
I'll post here until it's moved.

For 3 years I was using an Epson Stylus 777..... with satisfactory results. In January I bought a Canon I9900, the results are superb, definately the equal of any commercial prints i have had done from my digital shots.

I've printed mainly on Ilford papers, the results are on a par with the canon paper I tried. Even at borderless 19"x13" printing the results remain the same.
I had a Canon SP4000 but was never really happy with the print results, the new one is great. Have to get some Canon paper now and keep an eye out for when it is on special.
I cant stand printers, stupid things!!! :x

I've had a few, but given up on them.
When you are a poor millionaire, as I am, the cost of wasted prints, unecessary prints, ink, paper and time are just too high.
Instead, I send my pics, broadband to a lab, (always the same one), and just get what I want in 24 hours. Cheap, simple, always high quality, no waste, no hassle, no rice pudding! Smile
Sounds like a good idea most of the time, I can see it paying for itself for some bigger shots. 8X10's are AUD$12.50, I can print a A4 size for less than 2 bucks.
I can't remember the last home print I have considered "wasted"

I have a set workflow and always preview before printing. I print 15*11 on 17*13 paper and 8.5"*11" for the most part, the smaller ones cost me less than 80cents each, they are over $2.00 comercially, the large prints cost me around $4.50 each and would be over $8. On ther rare occasion I print a full size 19*13 I save over $10 a print.

4"*6" actually are cheaper commercially.
I've recently been doing some comparisons with local print providers and my i960. Two of the places were Costco and a local place called Photo Experts. I found my own prints from the i960 to be just as good as the others. Maybe even a little more crisp. I am using Canon ink and Canon Paper. I see no reason the search for cheaper paper and ink. I tried Kodak photo paper and the black ink did not take to the paper well. Almost as if the paper didn't accept it. Even if original brand supplies are more money, I don't feel the need to "cheap out" on aftermarket or different brands. The results I get are exceptional and I'd like to keep it that way.
Petographer Wrote:I tried Kodak photo paper and the black ink did not take to the paper well. Almost as if the paper didn't accept it. Even if original brand supplies are more money, I don't feel the need to "cheap out" on aftermarket or different brands. The results I get are exceptional and I'd like to keep it that way.

I have some Kodak "Ultra Glossy" that I thought would be the same as the "Photo Paper Pro Glossy" but found if I set it to the standard glossy it works much better. I think if I use the A4 sheets and print four to a sheet the cost works out pretty well when compared to the 6x4 and is about the same size.

All that said I think I still prefer to get the 6X4's done through my local Teds Camera Store, they do a very good job and often will have them done in 15 minutes. I think I will have to try some of the matt paper though.

Has anyone a preference for where to get the Canon paper at good prices? I think I will have to try the local computer market next weekend.

What about ink cartridges? Might try the markets as well.
I only use canon inks, and I'm paying $11.99 a cartridge, the printer takes 8.

Paperwise the Ilford is producing prints that I can't tell from the canon paper.
I usually buy from Officeworks when they've got specials on. I managed to get a 50pack of Canon 6x4 for around 10 bucks..

They worked pretty well in my HP printer..
shuttertalk Wrote:I usually buy from Officeworks when they've got specials on. I managed to get a 50pack of Canon 6x4 for around 10 bucks..

They worked pretty well in my HP printer..

That is exactly what I will look for or A4 size, I have a roller cutter and mat that slices them up perfectly.
It good to here that photographs are being printed Smile

At home or from a Lab, it's all good. Too many latent images lying around on hard drives.

For the standard 6x4 print I got to Harvey Norman and pay 33 cents. It is not worth doing it myself at that price.

When creativity strikes or for enlargments the printer at home gets the job.
Have to agree, I think the number is going up though. I often get prints from Teds in Belconnen and there is usually others there getting prints from digital.

I am going back through some of my older stuff and getting them printed.
Just remember to back up your flash Cards before using the self serve Kiosks......

whenever your share, be protected.....

Nothing beats a printed image.
Absotively, I always use a pen drive or an SD card that I load from my PC.
I've been printing photos recently at the nearby shopping centre Smile
I've decided to throw away my old Epson POS rather than replace the inks again. Extremely frustrating to get colors to match - I think the profiles that came with it are bad. Or I'm double profiling, or something. It is and has always been a PITA.
That's a shame, My Epson Color Stylus 777 gave me great results.
slejhamer Wrote:I've decided to throw away my old Epson POS rather than replace the inks again. Extremely frustrating to get colors to match - I think the profiles that came with it are bad. Or I'm double profiling, or something. It is and has always been a PITA.

Are you replacing it with anything in particular?
I too use a Canon. The 9950 A3.
I always steared well clear of the early bubblejet canon printers as they were awful things.
I was introduced to the Canon 865 a while back and was bowled over with its quality of print and the speed. It was also extremely quiet.
My Epson took a trip to the spare room and in came the Canon. Ive not looked back at all.
I also use Jessops own brand PHOTO 260grm inkjet paper. The results are stunning ( in my opinion ).
If you guys across the pond can get Jessops paper I would suggest giving it a go.

Keep snapping
Steve ( in sunny Scotland )
Hey Steve, welcome to Shuttertalk!

Wow, Scotland eh? That's round the other side of the world to myself! Big Grin But don't worry, we've got some members over in those parts...

I've always been a HP man... although in different circumstances, I'd probably go Canon. Big Grin
Hey Steve,

I agree completely about the Epson vs Canon stuff. I used to hate the early Canon bubblejets (umm, this goes back to the late 80's), and was quite happy with my Epsons all through the 90's.

But in the last few years, my Epsons would chew through ink like nothing else, and get blocked nozzles and all sorts of problems. I hated putting good paper through them because there would be a good chance they would just spit out some rubbish.

Then last year I was given a Canon i250 as a freebie by a local wholesaler, and wasn't in a hurry to even plug it in and switch it on (how good can a printer be that costs under AU$100???)... but when I did I was quite suprised. It kicked butt over my old Epson at the time, and it became clear Canon had got their act together (and Epson had dropped the ball a bit) when it came to consumer printers.

So I gave that i250 to a friend and went out an bought a Pixma iP6000 and have been really happy with it since. Now that I have a better camera I wish I'd held out for a better printer, something like the A3 9950 you have. But my 6000 is still a 6-colour printer that produces great results, so I'm certainly not complaining.
Welcome to shuttertalk Steve, I love scotland and miss it more than I miss my homeland of England.

I love my canon I9900.
The A3 prints must chew through the ink? Would be cheaper than the print shops though, the prices for 8x10's are outrageous, I shudder to think what an A3 size would be??
Pages: 1 2