DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Panning
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was just checking out the CAMS site for list of motorsport events coming up in Perth (there's the Supercars in about a month, then a round of the Aussie Rally Champs a week after) to photograph. It got me thinking - motorsport events are a good place to practice certain techniques, and generally most people can take some impressive shots at the track, even if you're just starting out. The main technique used with these sorts of events is panning - trying to keep the subject (car) in focus, while adding motion blur to the background. I haven't had too much success with panning in the past, but it'd be a great tool to have in the bag. Does anyone have any good panning shots they've taken, or any tips to keep the subject in focus? Maybe it's an idea for your photography assignment Jules? Smile

Cheers,

Brad
Must say that I haven't tried this technique before... hm... good idea, that should be the next photo assignment Smile
I have a couple of tips but I'm rushing out the door so no example shots until I get back. Watch the ride of the track and pick where and when you are taking the shot. Pre-focus and then put your camera on manual focus (if you can) setting the camera to manual and getting the correct exposure. When you're taking your shot make sure you keep panning while you press the shutter release.

You may well need to set your camera to the lowest ISO speed and shutter to around 1/60-1/125 of a second (depending on how fast the cars are moving past) and then adjust your aperture to suit.

I'm working at the V8's again but no shooting cars in motion for me unfortunately as much as I enjoy it.
Thanks guys,

Yeah I want to get there, but not sure if we'll be back in time. We leave from Exmouth I think on the Saturday, so might get back here mid Sunday? Hopefully there's enough time... I should definitely be able to get to the rally though.

Cheers,

Brad
James- never had to put my camer in manual focus for any panning before. That shouldn't be an issue. The only thing that should be manual is the camera and not the lens. Sports mode simply will not do. You're right about the speed. In my expereince shooting at 1/30 or slower is difficult but when you nail it, the shot sure looks good with a great bg blur. As far as iso goes, you'll just have to set it accordingly.
Practice, practice practice. It is difficult to say exactly what settings to use. You just have to make sure you can drop your shutter speed low enough to get a motion blur. I would suggest just photograph some cars on the street.
[Image: ?iid=ysd912&outx=600&noresize=1&nostamp=1]
Thanks P,

I think maybe my problem before was I was trying with a much slower speed, like of the order of around a second or so... maybe not the smartest Smile

Cheers,

Brad
Colin,

Normally I set the camera to manual for the exposure, if I'm following a subject and the exposure is set off by a reflection in the glass or something else it often underexposes the whole shot. Just something I do, not sure how common a practice it is.

Love your shot, was that one at 1/30th?
I have found that for slower moving objects that around 1/30 is a bit slow and 1/60 is good, for faster items up to 1/250th is fine.I also run everything manual and have focus preset at where I want to take the shot.

[Image: panning-1.jpg]
Wow, great shot Pete! Big Grin
I did a bit of reading up after this shot, I took it at 1/30, 1/60 or 1/90th would have given me a greater success rate I think.
StudioJ Wrote:Colin,

Normally I set the camera to manual for the exposure, if I'm following a subject and the exposure is set off by a reflection in the glass or something else it often underexposes the whole shot. Just something I do, not sure how common a practice it is.

Love your shot, was that one at 1/30th?

1/60sec, f-11, 100iso
Recent example of panning, don't get much of a chance these days...

1/100th f13

[Image: IMG_6077.jpg]
Cool! Don't you just love those old race cars. Smile
Beautiful picture SJ.
Panning.

My two hints....Timing is very important. Tracking your target, shooting and remember to follow through.

The second hint.....Panning is done from the hips...Keep your neck, head and shoulders still. Move from the waist with the camera held firmly against your eyeball for the smoothest results.