DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Cutting out background
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just wondering if anyone has perfected a technique of cutting out the background from a photo? The magic wand tool works sometimes if the background is plain, but throw in a few trees and rocks and it doesn't work too well.
Use the "select colour range" and "select similar" controls, (or equivalent). Also, try Corel "Knockout2", though it's a swine to get it to work "just-so."
in photoshop, when using magic wand (equiv. to what rufus said about selecting colour range), change the tolerance and hold shift while you select all the parts you want to select Thats one way, another is to trace it out using lasso tool Tongue magnetic or the other ones Tongue
It works! Big Grin

[Image: fall.jpg]
LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!!!! WOWOWOW!! HAHAHAHAHHA !!! LOLOLOLOLOOL
hahahah
gahhhh! BAHAHahaHAHAAH lOLLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
asjhdakjshdkjashdkajsdhsajkdha!! JAJAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAA LOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!! AGRHHHHHA HAAHHAHA!
thats nice adam ... Translation ? kekeke
peter Wrote:thats nice adam ... Translation ? kekeke

He is laughing that hard he is about to blow up
shuttertalk Wrote:It works! Big Grin

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/images...d/fall.jpg

What did you use, lasso or magic wand?
probably magc wand wid a chinge in tolerace levels ..
Ok, any one know if it is possible to kill what is seen throught windows etc in cars as well as tracing them?
Don't know if this Photoshop tutorial is helpful to you folks... http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74904

it's geared more towards car-owners but the steps are transferable to just about anything, I suppose. I came across this back when I used to own one of these beautiful cars - a Mazda MX-6.
That's an awesome link, Cailean, thanks.

I think he carefully draws (using pen tablet?) outlines to select the areas he needs to manipulate... but the results are quite good!
The PhotoShop "Extract" function is probably the easiest and best way to extract a subject from a complex background, as the software does the tricky stuff - you just outline the edges (and not even exactly). If the software gets too agressive with its removal - just paint the overly-extracted bits back in with the "history" brush.

This technique takes alittle practice - but once you have done it a couple of times - it is the fastest and easiest by far.
Toad Wrote:The PhotoShop "Extract" function is probably the easiest and best way to extract a subject from a complex background, as the software does the tricky stuff - you just outline the edges (and not even exactly). If the software gets too agressive with its removal - just paint the overly-extracted bits back in with the "history" brush.

This technique takes alittle practice - but once you have done it a couple of times - it is the fastest and easiest by far.

Knockout works in the same manner. It works well. I've found some people have trouble with it but you just have to review the tutorials and read the help index's.