DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: What do your family and friends think of you?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Most people here might consider themselves photography enthusiasts - but what do you think your family and friends think of you? Mad nutter? Person who goes round with expensive equipment round their neck? Annoying person who puts sticks cameras into faces all the time? Big Grin

And what do they think of your photography and/or results? Big Grin
They think that I'm crazy spending my money on camera stuff;
They talk about spending X amount on a car, and I say "oh my, I could buy a camera lens with that amount of money!" or maybe I'm being silly Smile

I've been called a photographer, then it became stalker, then I even got introduced as a pervert once (for no reason!) and many other names
As all my family live over 4000 miles from me, they probably think of me as "that guy that keeps mailing pictures of rocks and trees to us."

I know my mom loves the pictures I send to her, with birthday, Christmas cards etc.... haven't really gotten any feed back from the rest of my family.

I know my wife thinks my pictures are good and so far sees the $3500 I've spent in the last six months as money well spent. Smile
A few months ago at a family event, it was "oh there's Mitch and his camera again ... Rolleyes "

This past weekend, it was "hey Mitch, why aren't you taking any pictures? How about some of us with the kids? C'mon, go get the camera ... "

Rolleyes
I think I'm pretty lucky with the support I get.

My Dad, his Partner, my Sister and Brother in law all have fine art degrees and all teach at the School of Art at the University of Tasmania and are professional artists to varying degrees. They certainly understand the creative urge (considerably more than me I imagine).
Even my mum originally went to art school and does a fair bit of painting and some photography in her spare time, although her career is not specifically art-related.

So I happily accept that I'm probably the least artistic member of my family Sad But I scored the "technical gene" and am the only one who knows how to switch on a computer! Tongue (quite an advantage when it comes to digital photography)

Although none of them do as much photography as me, its no big suprise that they are understanding and supportive towards me. My dad in particular gives me a lot of encouragement, and I think my mum would give me a lot more except she thinks I spend too much money on gear.

My friends generally think I'm crazy but always ask me to take photos of their kids for them, and my ex-girlfriend was always really supportive and still asks me to email her copies of photos I take (a year after we broke up!).

I know a lot of people in the world think this stuff is just a waste of time and money. But to me, I'm searching for that perfect image.. and when I find it, nobody can put a price on it.
My closest family is Irma - do I need to say more? Big Grin

I consider myself really lucky that she shares my hobby. I think it would be hard on both of us if she didn't, but as it is, we're having a lot of fun together. Smile
Yes, I do think we are lucky to share the same hobby. Probably we have different preferences, subjects of interest, but at the end is photography.

My Mum in Mexico loves to see my pictures, the only problem is that she is not exactly skilled in computers. (I say Mamy click in the blue line and you will see my picture. Oh! no because then you will disappear and I cannot write to you anymore Rolleyes poor Mamy...) So I have to mail the picture and she prints it in a sheet of paper and she is happy with that. She is always very supportive with her comments. The rest of the family there, I think, is not exactly interested about it. Some of them because don't have time to see my pictures and others because don't have fast internet connection.
I'm not entirely sure what my family thinks. Like Craig, my family is 3000 miles away. When I speak to them they are always saying "Oh, that's great!" when I tell them of things or of a show I do but that's it. My wife is supportive as she's my silent partner. She does a lot of the secretarial duties. Still things have to be passed by me, the boss. Tongue She's says I'm the petographer so I guess she knows it at the least a paying hobby.