DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Memory Effect
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

smoochy

Ok here's a question for you shuttertalk people. Do NIMH batteries have the memory effect? NiCad definitely does. Li Ion does not i think...

---------------------
I am the mighty Cervantes!
No. Not to an appreciable degree. There is a tendancy toward early death if cells are not discharged fully at irregular intervals, but we're talking, what... 5% ish?
Having said that, NEVER discharge cells out of the specific equipment unless you own a discharger. Do not grab random resistors and try to drain your batteries through them!
They all have memory effect, from what I've read (no personal research myself); but as Rufus said, not to an appreciable degree; so you won't notice it much, but it'll die after many many charges Smile
Rufus Wrote:No. Not to an appreciable degree. There is a tendancy toward early death if cells are not discharged fully at irregular intervals, but we're talking, what... 5% ish?
Having said that, NEVER discharge cells out of the specific equipment unless you own a discharger. Do not grab random resistors and try to drain your batteries through them!

huauhauh .. i discharged some batteries before using a mini motor ...
does a great job of draining the batteries.. no dodgy resistors tho .. thats a fire hazzard ~_~
Hi and welcome, smoochy!

It's such a science isn't it? Like the others are saying, I don't think you need to wait until the batteries are completely discharged before recharging NIMH. Also, batteries will age over time and lose their effectiveness.

However, I've been reading a few sites - they recommend discharging your batteries once in a while, but here's the catch -- you musn't discharge them fully. Only discharge them to about 0.9v. Discharging your batteries to absolute zero V will make them useless. They recommend using a discharger or charger with discharge-charge cycle that will automatically do it for you. (Not a motor, peter!! Smile )

Interestingly enough, my camera has a battery discharge function...
I could discharge my batteries by putting camera into bulb setting and leave it open... haha, a fully battery is expected to last 2.5 hours with shutter open; haha Smile
Not only do you get a discharged battery, but you get a nice picture! (maybe with a lot of hot pixels, but nice star trails) IF the battery dies; then the picture wouldn't get saved; would it?
uhahua
our bettery is Lithium ion adam ..
so we dont really need to discharge it ..
That's true Smile Since the life depends on how many cycles it has done, or something like that Tongue
I'll get some backup BP-511's though, third party higher capacity ones Smile
At the moment, it's one of our limitations when out shooting - battery life!
yeah .. go buy us some 1600mAh ones ...
then ill pay you back ..
I don't think I can get the 1600mAh ones as I'm already looking to get these ones:
East-gear BP-511 1500mAh.

Would you trust third party batteries? It won't void the warranty unless it causes your camera to break, would it?
it shouldnt .. unless battery acid starts leaking into ur cam cause the battery gets a hole in it .. Smile

how much is the price adam ?
Price is approximately $30, we'll see as get closer to date.
Dad going to S'pore in a month or so I think.
yeah ..
and then you can get me some goodies..
mabye ...
We'll see Smile
I could quite possibly request some BP-511 Wink