DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: The Test of Time - With Regard to Prints
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After reading Peted's post about his visitor with the Epson 2100, it got me curious about the current state of affairs with regard to dyes and inks and paper and the ability of prints to last without fading.

Anyway, I found this article quite an interesting read:

http://www.photoreview.com.au/Articlexas...efault.htm

Apart from the discussion of inks and papers, at the end they include a useful list of points for people wanting to get their prints to last.

www.photoreview.com.au Wrote:* Instant dry ‘microporous’ high gloss papers are particularly prone to the effects of atmospheric pollution in combination with (ubiquitous) dye-based inks. If you rub your finger across the paper and it grabs or squeaks it’s probably a porous paper. There are some other glossy papers that are ‘swellable’ - they take far longer to dry but provide a greater amount of protection from atmospheric gases. (But on the other hand are not as water-resistant.) Be wary of paper that promotes itself as ‘instant dry’ unless you are sure it’s not a porous variety.

* While the use of pigment inks with microporous glossy papers is satisfactory in terms of image permanence, they can exhibit a variable glossiness over the surface - a function of the density of the ink.

* Fingerprints are no more a permanence issue for inkjet prints than traditional photographic prints.

* Pigment-based inks are superior in terms of permanence and water resistance to dye-based inks, but most have a poorer colour gamut and lower saturation. (With the exception of Epson’s new(ish) UltraChrome inkset.)

* Dye-based inks are particularly susceptible to ‘short term colour drift’ in high humidity environments. The colours will change over weeks or months.
Six- and seven-colour systems have tended to be less stable than four-colour, but the latest six-ink system used in HP Photosmart printers is actually more stable than HP’s four-ink system. New six/seven-ink printers developed specifically for photographic printing are likely to overcome the failings of earlier inks as image life becomes a crucial design criterion.

* Especially with dye-based printers, choice of paper has probably the largest impact on permanence. HP’s latest Vivera photo inks and Premium Plus Photo Paper is probably the best dye-based combination going round at the moment, according to WIR.

* Third-party papers that are advertised as being suitable for all printers are, almost by definition, not optimised for any particular inkset or printer.
Most manufacturers of third party inks and papers pay scant attention to image permanence issues. (Kodak is a notable exception here, notwithstanding debate about its testing methods. There are also some premium archival stock manufacturers in the fine art segment of the market who would dispute this claim.)

* Brilliant white papers use brighteners that fluoresce blue and absorb harmful UV radiation - a paper with less brightener will have a longer life - so don't be put off by yellowish-looking stock.

* 'Mixing and matching' papers and inks is far more risky with dye-based inks than pigment-based inks.

* The ‘Big Three’ in printer technology, HP, Epson and Canon, are the most advanced in the field of image permanence.
Thanks for the article, Kombi!

Quote:* Especially with dye-based printers, choice of paper has probably the largest impact on permanence. HP’s latest Vivera photo inks and Premium Plus Photo Paper is probably the best dye-based combination going round at the moment, according to WIR.

I like the sound of that! Big Grin
When I used my Epson printer I mixed and mached paper and ink. On my Canon I stick to Canon ink and Canon paper. As far as I'm concerned it really isn't that expensive.
I actually prefer the Ilford papers with my Canon... the colors are just as vivid and the texture of the paper is better to me.