DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Layers and Blending
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Prompted by NN's questions on masks and layers I spent some time playing around... and progressed to gradient masking and layering. What do you think?

[Image: blend.jpg]
It's really nice Craig. Great texture and mood.
I think it's a nice effect. However, I'm sort of asking - how does it contribute to the image? Does it show that the vibrant young lady is slowly decaying? Big Grin
I think it's cool, but Jules' question is interesting - I'd say she's emerging from a sketchy, colorless world into a more vibrant period of life. Smile

Some portrait photogs use a similar technique, making the background a watercolor effect and gradually bringing the subject into photo-realism with masks. Example: http://www.michaelcampbell.com/painting4.htm
Very nice but I keep thinking that her face should be a little softer.
ST - Your getting too deep..... it symbolises I was messing around with layers Tongue

Peted - The full size image is pretty soft, it was reduced from 6.3mp and that sharpened it up some. As I was only messing around with technique, I didn't bother to alter it.
Now I understand what you did Bob. I like it, the effect is really nice, the only minor detail I find is her cheek and neck. Otherwise it looks fine!
slejhamer Wrote:I think it's cool, but Jules' question is interesting - I'd say she's emerging from a sketchy, colorless world into a more vibrant period of life. Smile

I like that one! Big Grin