DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Live8
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, anyone watch the concert? I managed to catch just a bit on TV - Sting was doing his usual bass grooves...
What is it?
When is it?
I think that African woman who was rescued from poverty looked out of her depth with Madonna on stage. I'm not sure if it was a good thing or bad thing to see her (the African woman) on stage.

On one hand, it's fantastic that she was saved by a likely death by starvation. However, the cheesiness of having her on stage with Madonna felt like a PR stunt to me...
adam Wrote:What is it?
When is it?

Just like Live Aid but different. The purpose to get world governments to scratch debt owning from 3rd world countries to help alleviate poverty. It was 2 days ago.

I really liked seeing The Who. But I really didn't get to see much of anyone.
I didn't intend watching it, but switched on just to see how it was going and ended up watching about the last 5 hours, so it must've had something going for it!

Best bit for me over all was Pink Floyd reunited after 24 years of squabbling.
Pigs finally flew!

Also enjoyed Paul McCartney both at the beginning and the end of the show, and The Who.

Was surprised to find I also enjoyed the performances by sting and by Robbie Williams and found a new band to listen to in Scissor Sisters. REM were good, as was Joss Stone (amazing voice from someone so young).

A few artists fell rather flat or me (and for the crowds in Hyde Park) - notably Mariah Carey and Velvet Revolver. Also found Roxy Music (from the Berlin gig) very disappointing and Snoop Dog inappropriate.

However, I think the whole thing was very successful in refocusing the world on the problems in Africa. It's very evident that most ordinary people want to help. The real issue is whether there's any real chance of our leaders taking the people seriously and actually doing something about it.

--NN
Velvet Revolver was innit??? Man I missed out! Sad Slash is my guitar idol!!!
Thanks Mitch. Saved to the desktop for later viewing.