DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Boo-teek pedalz
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Are they worth the money?

Many of them tout features like military grade components, true bypass, etc, but is the improvement in tone significantly noticeable?

I had a quick squizz through robertkeeley.com and his modded pedals seem to have a great following and even the harmony central reviews for his pedals are overwhelmingly positive. Thinking of getting a couple of pedals from him to replace my GT6 which has served me well, but I'm finding myself fiddling with the darned thing more than playing guitar.

Anyone with any pearls of wisdom?
Well, my friend Alan E makes these things. Hang on, let me see if I can find his web-site......(rummages in computer......................) ...

http://www.projectguitarparts.co.uk/

Here we go. Check under "electronics"

Email Alan. Tell him Rufus sent you. There isnt much he doesnt know about boutique pedals, guitars and music.
Can you convince him to loan us a few pedals to review? Big Grin
Thanks for the link Rufus. I did have a look at Alan's site and read some reviews. He makes quite a few variations of fuzz pedals, but they're not what I'm after unfortunately. For custom made pedals, his prices are very reasonable - a pity I can't try them out! Sad

Or I might get hooked on fuzz! Big Grin

I spent the whole of last night going through EVERY single effect on my GT6 and playing with them to see what they actually were capable of doing. While purists might argue that digital emulations can never replicate the real thing, I managed to get a rough feel for how different overdrive/distortion compare to each other eg. Tubescreamer vs Boss DS-1 vs Boss BD-2 vs MXR Dist+ vs Marshall Guv'nor, etc...

It depends on the song I'm playing, but generally, I preferred the clarity of the Tubescreamer (which supports my findings when playing live) as it has that midrange hump which allows it to stand out in the mix, versus the rest which were either too trebly, or didn't have enough chord clarity for rhythm work.

I'll hang on to my GT6 for now - I can't afford to buy the pedals I need to give me the same functionality and flexibility that my GT6 currently gives me at this time.
Keeley modded SD-1 Smile
I was looking at that - have you got one?

Give us a quick review!
shuttertalk Wrote:Can you convince him to loan us a few pedals to review? Big Grin

No, 'fraid not. He's a one-man-band, and makes the pedals as needed.