DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: More New Canon Gear NOT YET Officially Announced!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In addition to the rumored 5D, the following may or may not be forthcoming:

24-105 f/4 L IS lens

430EX Speedlite (replacement for the venerable 420)

EOS 1D Mark II N camera body - according to the rumor mill, this is "an upgrade to match some of what is being incorporated into the 5D - namely the 12.8MP FF sensor, the 2.5" LCD, and the pellicle mirror allowing live preview of the histogram." Further speculation surrounds an in-camera crop allowing 1x, 1.3x, and maybe 1.6x image formats, giving a faster frame rate when you need only 8mp.

MAYBES:
New battery grip, new wireless controller, new pledge pins.

JUST YOU WAIT AND SEE:
Canon press conference set for August 23rd or thereabouts.
I want a 24 105 L !! YAS! Big Grin (Hint to Santa). Big Grin Big Grin
Just to clarify....I'm NOT Santa!!! Big Grin
me too me too!!!!

...and a 5D, just to use as a "spare" body Wink
...and a 430EX to use as a slave to the 580EX Santa said he'd get me...
...and a 1D Mark II N to use as a spare to the 1Ds Mk2 I also have on Santa's list..

but that's all, I don't want to be greedy.

oh, except for that Canon EF 1200 L lens.... hehe Wink
I am mad that there is still no 70-200 f/4 L IS.

This 24-105 will be a great "kit" lens for a FF camera like the 5D. But I'd find it an odd range for a 1.6x camera like the 10D. That's partly why I sold my 28-135 IS lens.

Oh, rumor has a street price of US$700-800 for the lens. Sounds about right, given where the other f/4 L lenses are priced (17-40 and 70-200, neither of which have IS.)

:it's just not what I want :| :
yeah I get what you mean Slej... but it could be a good option for FF cameras, and it would be Canon's first wide-angle IS L lens which is a good sign that the EF-S 17-85 IS wasn't just a one-off, and that IS might soon become a standard feature like AF is (which is a pretty inevitable conclusion with cameras in general I guess).

I am a little suprised that the 5D is planned to be FF, as I would have thought Canon would be taking every new model as an opportunity to push the EF-S format. I don't want to start a debate on crop-factor and whether or not the 5D *should* be FF or not, but I'm just a little suprised that's all Wink

But thanks for the info.. very interesting.
I don't suppose you know of any plans Canon might have of dropping the price on the EF-S 10-22 by, say... 50%-80%? Wink I still need a big wide-angle!

Cheers
Adrian
Kombisaurus Wrote:I am a little suprised that the 5D is planned to be FF

All still rumor, of course. Though it did appear briefly on Canon's own Professional Services site ... Big Grin

Kombisaurus Wrote:I don't suppose you know of any plans Canon might have of dropping the price on the EF-S 10-22 by, say... 50%-80%?

No, but they've been giving $500 rebates on the 1D Mk II. Unheard of! Clearly they are moving inventory to make room for the "N"ext Generation model. You could buy the current 1D MkII and get a used 17-40 with the rebate money. Then you'd have FF and true wide! Cool
Santa, please add a big fat swiss bank account to my list... Big Grin

Hey great find, adam! So the 5D is half the price of a MkII ... cool!

I think it's time for people to change from asking "when will DSLRs be affordable" to "when will full frame DSLRs be affordable"... Big Grin
Hmmm..... can't see myself talking the wife into that one... but I didn't see myself springing for an SLR at all 2 years ago.
i think i might still get the 1ds...if the 5d is the size of the 20d, that is.
i mean the 1d...sorry
Nothing like have a bit of spare cash to throw around.