DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Photoshop Alternative???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just ran across a discussion elsewhere on this forum that mentioned OpenSource (dewy) and freeware (ST) alternatives to commercial software. I wondered what you folks could suggest as an alternative to one of the biggest, baddest commercial software packages of them all (besides MS products!!), Adobe Photoshop. Is there an alternative?
Neither OS nor FW,
Paintshop Pro 8 is £75 or less here. I wouldnt use anything else......Errmmm, well, having said that, I do also occasionally use The Gimp. That's an OS.

Photoshop? Pah!

Elements (free with 10D), is poor enough without spending..... What is it? £700 on PS. No way, not never, ever, no.
Ahhhh...... i sometimes use the Gimp in linux.

But I think you can get a windows version?

Otherwise Adobe Illustrator is one that my friends use a lot for their graphics work
Yeah, elements comes free with some cameras.

Also, sometimes you get older versions of software packages on magazine covers.. I've got PSP, and some other one which I can't recall the name of...

Not bad providing you don't mind putting up with an older version.
yeah
i got elemesnts 2 free with the cam ..
so hats pretty good to use ...
Basically I want to be able to remove backgrounds and stuff and would like to settle on a piece of software before I try to learn!

I have a program called PhotoPlus5.5 by a company called Serif... anyone ever heard of it?
I was looking at that a while back... is it any good?
I'd go for PSP.

It does the job for me.

The Gimp, (which does have a Windows variant.... I use it), is every bit as powerful as PS. (It's true!).
Quote:The Gimp, (which does have a Windows variant.... I use it), is every bit as powerful as PS. (It's true!).
and its free!!!!!!
Yes indeed Dave!! Big Grin
Paint Shop Pro is a most excellent alternative to PhotoShop and a lot less expensive. While I have found PSP v8 a little lacking in some respects, I have for the last week been using the beta PSP v9 (expected full product release in September) and have to say I am very impressed with the improvements over v8. Specially all the features for use with digital camera taken pictures.
Hey Christbst! Welcome to Shuttertalk! Oh you're a PSP user too? You and Rufus can shake paws then Big Grin

I use PSP on my laptop... but still at version 7...
Chrisbst Wrote:Paint Shop Pro is a most excellent alternative to PhotoShop and a lot less expensive. While I have found PSP v8 a little lacking in some respects, I have for the last week been using the beta PSP v9 (expected full product release in September) and have to say I am very impressed with the improvements over v8. Specially all the features for use with digital camera taken pictures.

Hello PSP friend!!

Please tell us a little more about yourself, and about your experiences with PSP9b.
I, for one, would love to know more!!

Smile
Chrisbst Wrote:Specially all the features for use with digital camera taken pictures.

Do you mean EXIF handling and stuff, or is there more?
I agree. I use Paintshop Pro XI (cost about $60). That's the latest.

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/u...bview=tab0