DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: New Camera Privacy Gadget
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There's news of the latest gadget which is supposed to protect against unwanted photos - e.g. trade shows, etc.

http://news.com.com/Crave+privacy+New+te...&subj=news

Quote:The technology they've devised detects the presence of a digital camera up to 33 feet away and can then shoot a targeted beam of light at the lens, according to Shwetak Patel, a grad student at the university and one of the lead researchers on the project.
click to view photos of prototype

That means that someone trying for a surreptitious snapshot of, say, a product prototype or an amorous couple gets something altogether less useful--a blurry picture (or a video) of what looks like a flashlight beam, seen head on.

I hope they don't shoot a beam of light into people's eyes by accident!!
They tell us what we cant say, they tell us what we want. They fake school adhievements, they drown the poor, they stop photo's.....................
Even BIBLE quotes are getting banned.
I'm none too happy about the way things are going at all.
I haven't read the article but I am wondering how you detect a digital camera at 33 feet?
I can't imagine this becoming a wide-spread problem. It's a flash in the pan (excuse the pun).
I need one for my car (to avoid those police cameras) ahaha
Farbeit from me to assist law-breaking, but a slave flash in the car, would almost certainly prevent speed camera detection. :/
Rufus Wrote:... a slave flash in the car, would almost certainly prevent speed camera detection.

Wandering off-topic... many years ago, Ontario experimented with photo-radar (radar-triggered cameras to capture license plates) vans for speed enforcement on its highways. Shortly after their launch, our license plates changed to use reflective paint. The government denied that it had anything to do with the photo radar...

We can all imagine what happens when high-powered strobes hit reflective license plates...

(...hmmm... maybe that's all this anti-camera device is? A couple of bicycle reflectors to detect and neutralize a camera's flash?)