DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: What next lense should I get
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm currently in the market for a second lense for my Nikon D70.

I know that basically you choose your lense based on the type of photography you do. At the moment, I'm still trying to sort that out. Before I got my dSLR, I've always been facinated with scenery, now I find it boring as anyone can take a picture of a nice scenery given the right place and time. I've sort of moved on to point-of-view shots, not sure what the actual name for it is but its sort of looking at things from a different perspective.

While I'm yet to discover my true shooting ability and individual style, I need another lense as I have found the kit 18-70mm lense a little too restricting in terms of range/zoom.

At the moment a macro lense is out of the question as I can't afford one.

So my options at the moment are:

Nikon AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 G
Nikon Nikkor AF-S 55-200mm F/4-5.6 G ED DX
Nikon 28-200mm F3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF
Sigma 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3
Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II

I'm really after a lense that I can use on its own with a good range rather than carrying 2 around with me all the time. I'm actually leaning more towards the Sigma 28-300 at the moment as it's got a good range, good price and size. The Nikon 70-300 is pretty affordable as its the cheapest of the lot but I was thinking if I got that, would I need to carry around my 18-70 as well. The Nikon 28-200 and 55-200 are in a similar price range and the Sigma 28-300 is a little more. The 18-200 is the most expensive of the lot at around AUD600.

I'd like to hear what others think or if there is a lense someone would recommend.
I'd go witht eh 70-300, adds a lot more range to your current set up.
My personal opinion is - one should get the best lenses he can afford, because the bodies come and go, but the lenses stay forever (hmm, a little bit dramatic - but true statement Cool ). So if you can't afford a high quality lens now - in my opinion you should wait and save more money for it. I myself waited almost a year before I could afford a (used) 70-200 f/2.8L ...
Well i dont know any better lens then the sigma 70-300 APO DG supermacro II. (for the money)

It beats the Nikon when it comes to optical quality. Its pretty light and got a 1:2 macro option @ 200-300 mm.

Highly recommended. Just make sure you get the right version (latest version has the red stripe)

Heres a few shot with it and the D70.

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Sure with this you still would have to carry your 18-70 , but you didnt get a dslr just to use one lens now did you ? :-)
Great shots Paul, I have also been looking at the 28-300 range and was wondering about the 70-300, have to have a closer look now.

Cheers.

Pete
Thnx Pete.

Havent used the 28-300, im sure its a nice allround lens.

But i do belive the optical quality is far better with the 70-300.

if you got your wide end covered then i would go for a 70-300.

/P.L
How about something really really wide, for a different point of view Smile
or macro, as Paul suggested, really gives a different point of view Smile
Paul.R.Lindqvist Wrote:Thnx Pete.

Havent used the 28-300, im sure its a nice allround lens.

But i do belive the optical quality is far better with the 70-300.

if you got your wide end covered then i would go for a 70-300.

/P.L

Okay, you talked me into it. Ordered a 70-300mm DG APO from BH Photo about ten minutes ago. Checked locally and they are not available through the better of the local shops, don't list them as available for Pentax at all, only Canon and Nikon. The 70-300mm also uses a 58mm filter which I have from my 18-50mm lens. I would have been up for at least a new $70 polariser with the 28-300mm. Saves me all round and it is better because of the APO.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Nice! :-)

Just make sure you get the right version, i belive there is 3 version of sigmas 70-300. you need to get the latest . (red stripe) it has also a "macro" function from 200-300mm the older versions only has it @ 300mm.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_...avigator=3

Let us know what you think, when you get it.

/P.L
I am as sure as I can be that it is the right one.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controll...ype=search
Great! Let us know when it arrives... Big Grin
Sure will, jumping out of my skin to get it now, just checked and it still has not been sent. :o :o
Paul.R.Lindqvist Wrote:Well i dont know any better lens then the sigma 70-300 APO DG supermacro II. (for the money)

It beats the Nikon when it comes to optical quality. Its pretty light and got a 1:2 macro option @ 200-300 mm.

Highly recommended. Just make sure you get the right version (latest version has the red stripe)

Heres a few shot with it and the D70.

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Sure with this you still would have to carry your 18-70 , but you didnt get a dslr just to use one lens now did you ? :-)

Just got this lens today, looks good so far.
Lovely work - images 2 and 3 are particularly impressive, Paul.
Pete: Congrats, now show us some proof !!:-)

Rob:Thanx, its a great little lens for sure.

/P.L