DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Nikon 18-200 VR
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
That would go well with your D50! buy!!!
It is about a $700 US lens - more in Aus and Canada. I am seriously thinking of this one as an all-in-one walkabout lens for the new D200 (when it comes). I already have a superb 80-200 F2.8 however, and an above average 24-85 AFS however - so it is a hard rationalization. It looks really sweet though - if it is as good as the 18-70 - I will buy it.

I hate constantly changing lenses - and this one looks like it would have all the usual zoom ranges covered.

Provided that the 18-200 is up to it, my new optimized gear bag would be:

- D200 w/ 18-200 attached
- Tamron 90mm macro
- SB800 flash
- Circular polarizer
- iPod photo for mass photo storage
- maybe a 1.4 teleconverter

Wouldn't that be a sweet little package?
Yes, if the optics and performance live up to the specs on paper, then it would be a truly awesome lens. Lightweight, compact, super zoom range, and VR!
Yes if it peforms well over the range it will be a great walkaround lens.

One thing to have in mind though Rob, the 18-70 might perform well on a d70 (personally i didnt find it all that good on the d70 either)

but on a d2x, its really show its truecolors, it might be the same with the d200, increased resolution will really show the flaws of a lens.

One would think that the 18-200 would work great with the d200 since it sells as a kit, but Canon and Minolta has shown us example where kit lenses isnt really the best way to go.

Hope Nikon keep their own trend to provide good kits.

/P.L
Is it possible to use this lens with my D70?

As Christmas present I would have my EZ cube and my lamps, but I am really thinking about getting this lens better...

I have one lens 18-70mm and I have another one 70-210mm AF Nikkor which it was for the film camera...

I think that if I got this lens it wouldn't be an improvement about getting closer, I really don't know.... It wouldn't mind either... my improvement would be less weight to carry when I am walking in the forest... and not to get dirty my camera because of changing of lenses... It is really very sad that I have very often to clean my pictures from black spots I got when I change lenses....
You definitely should be able to... it's a DX lens which means that it's made for digital...

VR would be great...

I think a good (or cheaper) alternative would probably be the Sigma 18-200...
You are right is nearly half of the price!!

At this price I could get the lamps and the lens Big Grin

But Jules, how good is this sigma?
I read a comment of someone who was not too happy with the lens... I think he said it broke or something...I really don't remember...
From what I've read, it's pretty good optically, but slightly slow and noisy with the AF...

http://photographyreview.com/cat/lenses/...28crx.aspx
http://www.rtfract.com/d70sigma.htm

Don't forget though that with the Nikon, you get VR (vibration reduction = image stabilisation) which they claim lets you shoot up to 3 stops slower. Could be handy...
shuttertalk Wrote:Don't forget though that with the Nikon, you get VR (vibration reduction = image stabilisation) which they claim lets you shoot up to 3 stops slower. Could be handy...

You are right... I think I will do my best to get this one Wink

Thanks for your advice ST Smile
Irma: I also am looking seriously at this lens. Nobody actually knows anything about how good it is yet - nothing but a lab graph available, but if it is any good - it looks like a winner as a walk-around lens.
The lens I have is one for a film camera... it is a 70-210mm...

My only question would be if with this new lens I got closer than the actual lens I have or not...

In the last few days I was looking for information about it... but I can find anything and I can't understand very well when they say equivalent 35mm. So I really can't compare how close I will be...

Note:

Because of this
""
Offers the broad 18-200mm focal range (11.1x zoom) for use in a variety of situations (equivalent to a 27-300 mm lens in 35mm format)

""

I do think I will get closer... but I am not sure...
Well you will not get closer, but you will get a fov that equals 27-300mm.

your D70 has a crop factor of 1.5x of the "full frame" (35mm film that is)

wich means that you shold multiply the focal length by 1.5 and you will get the fov (field of view) this does not mean that a 18-200 will be a 27-300mm on your d70 its just means that the smaller sensor makes a crop and your fov equals 27-300mm.

Image to explain my rambling lol (notice the image show a 1.6x crop,since 20d uses a 1.6x crop)

[Image: fullframe.jpg]

/P.L
Thanks Paul for your comment... I think I understood already....

We have come to a decision and I will get this lens when we can buy it... perhaps I just will wait until we have some reviews and pictures to see... Smile

Thanks again..
lol sorry Irma i didnt realize that. Im slow today hehe.

/P.L