DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Miss Rally Australia Final Party - Open Invite
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Its on again both Telstra Rally Australia and Miss Rally Australia. The final is on this Friday night at the Shed in Northbridge (opposite the Deen) and if any STers would like to come along I can leave your name on the door (normal tickets are $20)

Feel free to come along and I'll shout you a drink.
Lots of piccies please! Lots! Yas! Big Grin
J. Shoots lots and lots. Looking forward to looking at some Ozzy babes.
oooo...OOOO!

yes yes yes.. sounds great thanks Jamie.

Rally Aus time always seems to sneak up on me, and I really want to go this year.
And not just the chicky-babes (although they are certainly important).. but also I want to watch and shoot some racing this year too! (Is it true this will be the last year it will be in Perth?)

So what's the deal J? The Miss Rally Aus event is on at Northbridge at 8pm on Friday.. but gates open at Glouster park at 5pm for the night's Super Special Stage!?!? I'm guessing there's no way to do both on the Friday. That's no big problem because the Super Special Stage is on at Glouster park again on Sat night (and Thurs too but that's out for me).

But for good photos I might be better off going to one of the country stages which are on during the day when the light will be better suited for fast shutter speeds. I've been to a Super Special Stage before when they were at Langly Park, and the atmosphere is fantastic, but I seem to remember the lighting would be terrible for shooting. I've also been to the country stages which don't have the atmosphere, but are a more authentic rally experience and light won't be a problem. But I haven't been since the SSS moved to Glouster park. What's it like now?

hmmm.. Are you planning on attending any of the actual racing yourself? Anyone else want to come along? I used to love WRC (until Toyota pulled out Sad sob..)

Oh, and getting back to Friday night... It sounds great too! I can't give a definate yes yet, but if I can shuffle a few things around then I'll take you up on that drink!

Cheers
Adrian
Final really starts at 9pm, most of the Rally action is over by then at GP. This year is the 2nd last year it will be here (at this stage, it may be more if they can get a consortium together to keep it here).

As for shooting at GP I wouldn't recommend it, the fences and distance make it not worthwhile. I have been to many of the country stages over the years but working Ms Rally Australia this year and last I've been touring with them the time that all the stages are on! You can probably do a traveling day and go to 3 or 4 stages between Muresk & Mundaring on one day thats not a bad one. Otherwise head down to Sotico for the BEST jumps and action.
Thanks for the tip about GP Jamie.. it doesn't suprise me it would be bad, as from what I remember of Langley Park it didn't seem good either (although I didn't care about photography back then so wasn't taking any notice of the lighting and so on).

As for Friday night.. I don't think I can make it Sad Certainly not for any length of time anyway. I might be able to drop in for 1/2 hour for a quick drink or something on my way home from work (and it won't suprise me if I don't leave work until 8pm tomorrow), but I won't be able to make a night of it I'm sorry. I did a bit of external work last week and still haven't quite caught up on all my regular stuff yet.
I'll give you a call tomorrow arvo if you like when I might have a better idea, but if its going to get complicated then I'll just take a raincheck if that's cool.

But I still want to go shooting some of the proper stages on Sat or Sun daytime and am happy to join forces with you or anyone else who might be keen.
I couldn't find any reference to Sotico on their map overview though (http://www.rallyaustralia.com.au/one/dow...erview.pdf) - but I like the idea of good jumps and action. Can you point me in the right direction please?

*sigh*... No GT-Fours, No Toyota, No Sainz, No Auriol racing any more Sad The glory days are over and the legends are gone... :~(
Remind me again why I'm going to watch? Tongue
Oh, wait a minute.. I just looked and noticed that Toyota WILL be represented... there is one Yaris (Echo) in the Group N1 class... but the only other car in the N1 class is a Subaru Vivio which is a tiny little kei car that weighs in at 665kg and has a motor only 658cc (that's 0.65 litres). *sigh* Toyota have gone from winning Group A World Championships to competing against the only car in the field with an engine smaller than you'd find in a decent motorcycle... look what we've been reduced to! :/

Still.. there's something sadistically satisfiying about going to watch a scooby or evo come limping home with some mechanical failure or other, or bits hanging off it, or when they land a jump awkwardly and just manage to save it, but you know the driver and navigator would've left brown stains on the seats. Big Grin Big Grin That's fun!

Cheers
Adrian