DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Auto ISO
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My camera has an "Auto ISO" function where it automatically bumps up the ISO sensitivity to increase the shutter speed and avoid camera shake. Does anyone use this? Any comments?

I tried it out at a friend's wedding yesterday and found it quite useful - as I could concentrate on the shooting and not having to worry about switching ISO whenever the bride and groom stepped in and out of the light. Obvious downside is that there is increased noise in the photos when the ISO went up to 1600. But... I saw better some noisy photos than no photos at all...

Another cool thing is that it could automatically select some ISO values which you can't normally set it to such as 1250, 550, etc. (I can only choose 200, 400, 800 and 1600).

[Image: DSC_0926.JPG]
ISO1400, f/5.0, 1/30s, 125mm, handheld! Well ok, leaning against a wall... Big Grin

[Image: DSC_0926_cr.jpg]
100% crop. Ay caramba... the noise! Big Grin
Personally, I don't use auto ISO because I'd be too inclined to get carried away and lose all awareness of what the camera's doing with the ISO speed - then be very disappointed if I ended up with masses of noise.

For me, I find it safer to know what ISO I'm set on and make judgements "as and when" about bumping it up for low light. I always prefer to keep the ISO as low as I can and avoid the noise.

Nic pics, BTW. Smile
On my camera, Auto ISO sticks to iso100 unless there's an external flash attached.

...what's the point of that?
It would be pretty good for me (if I had it!), particularly when I put it in AV and snap away without checking if my shutterspeeds are changing going in and out of light. I'd rather noisy images than blurry ones!!
Then again, I should just learn to me more concious of all my settings!